RN Market Alpha Beta interior

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

romleys
Veteran

RN Market Alpha Beta interior

Post by romleys »

I have a question regarding a store called "RN Market" which in a few photos I have seen here and there shows this store with the complete Alpha Beta Market interior package from the 1970's. Is there anyone who can clarify the exact location of this store (I think its in the Fresno area) and if the Alpha Beta interior is still present...
Thanks,
CH
Charles H:)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: RN Market Alpha Beta interior

Post by Groceteria »

Per their website, one of these stores is located at 5715 East Belmont in Fresno. This store was indeed a former Alpha Beta, and later a Foodland. I believe it still had some AB interior elements as of about 2001 or 2002, but I can't say whether or not it still does.

1999 photo of 5175 East Belmont

R-N Market Locations
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I've got photos of this store taken last year, which I don't have time to upload right now. The interior is a 70's Alpha Beta interior, just repainted. The only change I could find was the "Butcher's Pride Meats" signage was changed to say "Poultry Fish Meats". This store has been through a few operators, after Alpha Beta closed it was a Gene's Food Basket IGA, then a Foodland, it sat empty for a few years then R-N reopened it.

Oh, the store is at the corner of Peach and Belmont in Fresno.

Here is one of the photos I took of this store, as you can see the lettering is original Alpha Beta, just repainted.

romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

I'm going to Fresno on Thursday and I just wanted to make sure nothing has happened to this old Alpha Beta...
Its kind of redundant but I really would like to know...
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Redundant? This the last one left with this interior. Sure, they painted it and stuff, but it is basically the old AB gable 70's interior. This is an important store.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

More photos I took of this store. I forgot the aisle hangers have been replaced, also.

The A-B tiles are simply painted over. If you had a wire brush and a lot of time the front of the store would be original once again.

Unless drastic remodeling has occured since I moved from the area, I'd say this store is as close as you can get to an unaltered Alpha Beta anymore.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

With the recent closure of the Ralphs in Covina, this would be one of the few around.
The Ralphs also had the late 90's Alpha Beta Interior (see pics).

There is one store in San Bernardino that still has traces of the late 90's Alpha Beta. Its on Sterling and was a former Alpha Beta-Ralphs that is now an independent market that uses only 1/2 the store and the other half is visible but blocked off.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

Just went here today and nothing has changed (except from paint and aisle hangers mentioned previously). Turns out Selma,CA is the last most intact former Alpha Beta remaining. The aisle hangers date back to the mid 1970's with ALPHA BETA still on top of them! Best of all the AB tiles remain in place at the meat counter! Finally all of the original paint is still on the walls (unlike RN)!
The Selma location is now called "Town and Country Market".