Safeway's "divested" markets from 1986

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Safeway's "divested" markets from 1986

Post by TheStranger »

In the KKR buyout, Safeway ended up leaving several markets (i.e. Dallas, Kansas City) to focus on its strong spots (Northern California, Washington DC metro, etc.) and avoid some union troubles. I hadn't seen very many photos from those divested regions until I came across this one, from Wichita, KS:

http://www.agilitynut.com/modarch/roof.html

Anyone else know of existing examples of Safeway architecture in markets it has completely left?
Chris Sampang
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

This was a variant of the Marina style. A few out here in California were like this. There are some Vons stores that are marina's, most notiably the Santa Monica Bl location in West La.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Jeff wrote:This was a variant of the Marina style. A few out here in California were like this. There are some Vons stores that are marina's, most notiably the Santa Monica Bl location in West La.
I used to work at that store. While i was working there, there were talks of a remodel but never ever came of that....the store is very run down and isnt a high volume store...the marinas style stores i find very interresting! There are also VERY many of these style still stores around...And to add, a few blocks up barrington there is a Pavilions on Wilshire (what a major change a mile can make!)

oh...I'm assuming the door in the middle was added later buy the company which owns the building now...since i can see on both sides of the store the original doors...which look to me to be closed up now.

p.s. does anyone know the reason behind why Safeway chose this style....? Any history behind it...?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

We have a few old Safeways similar to this style around town. This particular example is in Ankeny, IA.

When I originally came here in 1992, it was Dillow's Supervalu (you can still see the shape of the old Supervalu "S" on the left side of the building.) It had an untouched Safeway 70's decor up until the store's expansion and remodel in the late 1990's, though the exterior's look didn't change. It closed around five years ago and was subdivided into an arcade, transmission shop, and bar, all of which have also closed.

I took this picture earlier this year...just in time. Looks like construction of some sort is starting on the building.

I live a block from the last Marina in the metro (now a Hy-Vee Drugstore). But the front was remodeled to the point it's unrecognizeable. Other old Safeways around town include a furniture store, a family fun center, and a Save-A-Lot.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Monterey Park had a Marina store which closed in 1986. The store was closed for several years before turning into an asian supermarket. Very little remodeling was done on the outside. I should snap a picture of it.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Jeff wrote:This was a variant of the Marina style. A few out here in California were like this.
An obvious example of the upward-sweeping wings up in NorCal is the Tognotti's auto detailing shop out on I think Fulton Avenue in Sacramento (which is pictured on this site).
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've seen Marinas in Kansas City and other midwestern areas, not to mention Texas. There's also a current thread on this board suggesting that one or two can be seen on Long Island in New York, but I can't confirm that for sure.

KC pictured below from 1997. Sorry for the low-quality video capture:

Last edited by Groceteria on 20 Sep 2006 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
wnetmacman
Veteran

East Texas/NW Louisiana

Post by wnetmacman »

Oh my, where to start..........

I grew up in East Texas, near Longview. There was a Safeway in any town over 5000 population. I remember when they all closed in 1987.

Longview had several different versions of Safeways (except Marina). On South Green St. were the two oldest stores, side by side. An old pylon store sat next to a 70s brown store with full front windows. The pylon store was an Eckerd Drug store for a while, then became a Goodwill store. The newer store is now a Mexican market, although it sat nearly empty for many years. On Loop 281 between US80 and Pine Tree Rd. was an interesting store from roughly the 70s. Two front entrances, and full glass, with a multi-height facade. Kinda difficult to describe. That store was replaced in 1980 with a new store at Loop 281 and Gilmer Rd. That store was sold to Brookshire in the 1987 closure, and it became the second Super 1 Foods store, opening three months after the Safeway closure. At Whaley and High streets was the largest store, a Super Store. The store was originally built in the 60s with an adjacent, but not connected, Skaggs Pharmacy. In 1979, the store was expanded into the Skaggs, and became the Super store. In 1987's sale, it became County Market until 1990, when it was sold to Brookshire for another Super 1 Foods store (both CM and Super 1 I worked for!). That store, when Super 1 moved out in 1992, became the Gregg County Jail (with half of the store torn down; the good half, might I add....)

Marshall had three different stores. On US80 near downtown is an old Marina store that has had a new, angled roof covering the arch. It is now a furniture store. On Pinecrest Dr./TX43 is an old 50's pylon style store that had green lettering when it was Safeway. Both of the above closed in 1986 when the large store was opened on East End/US59 next to the now closed Wal-Mart. When it opened, it was the most advanced Safeway in our area, with the Large Wall Graphics decor scheme, as well as a bulk section and the canopy and black ceiling over the produce section. Also sold to Brookshire in 1987, the store opened after three days as a Brookshire in 1987, and was remodeled into a Super 1 Foods around 1998-2000.

Carthage had a small, 1985 store with no specialty departments. This was only a supermarket. It was sold to a small startup company called U-Save Foods (who I also worked for in 1990). It was only around 30,000 sq ft, and had 8 aisles. The meat market ran along the whole side of the store. This store is now an HEB Pantry Store. Center, Texas had a similar store.

Kilgore had an older (late 60's/early 70's) tilt wall brown store. This store was sold to an independant, who operated it until 1993, when it became Winn-Dixie. This store, since WD's TX departure, is now vacant.

Tyler had two stores. The Vine St. store was sold to an independant, and last time I saw it, was a bingo parlor. A Super Store on S Loop 323 is now divided between Michaels and Big Lots (previously Pic 'N' Save).

Henderson had three distinct examples. The original store was just north of downtown at the corner of Van Buren and Depot Sts. This was a pylon store. When Safeway moved out, it became a Brookshire Brothers store. The replacement was a Marina store on S. Main at Richardson. This store was also occupied by Brookshire Brothers after Safeway moved. This store is now a health club, since BB moved down the hill to an old Kmart. The original Pylon store became the Rusk County Courthouse annex (we used to get driver's licenses there). In 1980, the new store was built on US79 South, next to the Henderson Plaza (which was then anchored by Wal-Mart, Otasco, Bealls and Skillern Drugs.) The new store was the first store in Henderson to have an in-store pharmacy, deli and bakery. We shopped there a lot. The 1987 divestment made this store a Kroger. While Kroger has redecorated the store significantly, it still retains its original equipment and floorplan, for the most part.

Atlanta, TX had a Marina store downtown that is now a church. A 1985 store is now empty, although it held an independant for some time.

Gilmer, TX was a 1980 store that was sold to Brookshire in 1987. Remodeled in the late 90's, this store is still open.

In NW Louisiana, there were several stores, including a couple in Shreveport and Bossier City. The Shreveport main Super Store was on Kings Highway near Centenary College, and is now Brookshires, as it has been since 1987. A store in Bossier was sold to an independant, which did not last long. It is now a Blockbuster and Chuck E Cheese. There is a third store somewhere in Shreveport, but I am not sure of its address, although I believe it was on Line Ave.

All stores East of Shreveport/Bossier City were part of the Little Rock division, which became Harvest Foods in 1988. Stores in Minden on Homer Rd. (now Brookshires), Ruston (on I-20 is now an Ace Hardware, downtown is County Market) and West Monroe on US 80 (now Brookshires) are still extant.

Whew. That was fun. Somebody correct me if I was wrong anywhere.
Scott Greer
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Here's one from Corpus Christi, but the photo dates back to 1983:

http://www.jamescohan.com/popup_work_pa ... image=1403

Was this divested in 87?
Last edited by TheStranger on 12 Oct 2006 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Sampang
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Groceteria wrote: KC pictured below from 1997. Sorry for the low-quality video capture:
The synchronicity of a Safeway becoming a Piggly Wiggly is great, considering Safeway's roots. :D
Chris Sampang
wnetmacman
Veteran

Corpus Christi

Post by wnetmacman »

Corpus Christi was part of the Houston division. That division was divested in 1988, and was sold to a group of manager who renamed their markets Apple Tree. Apple Tree only made it a few years. (Little Rock did the same thing with Harvest Foods, but HF lived until 1998.)
Scott Greer
Terry K
Contributor

Post by Terry K »

Harvest still lives on in Little Rock

http://www.harvestfoods.com

Originally, SWY's LR division was merged with the OK division and the infamous homeland dive in OK (Homeland still operates in a very SWY mentality down to a few of those lackluster stores they operate in Tulsa and OKC)
wnetmacman
Veteran

Sort of.....

Post by wnetmacman »

You're correct in that the Harvest Foods name lives on. The company liquidated their assets in 1998 or 1999, with the remaining stores and the warehouse going to Affiliated Foods Southwest. The stores are still there, but the list on the site isn't a fraction of what Harvest once was.

Homeland has a site as well.

http://www.homelandstores.com

And I know what you mean.......yikes. Still too much like Safeway.
Scott Greer
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

http://www.utterwonder.com/archives/200 ... net_re.php

A former Safeway in Taylor, TX, now used by a school.
Last edited by TheStranger on 12 Oct 2006 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Sampang
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Another Midwest marina, this time in Pratt, Kasnas:

http://thelope.blogspot.com/2005_10_04_ ... chive.html

Chris Sampang