list of ShopRite stores that became Pathmark in 1969

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

list of ShopRite stores that became Pathmark in 1969

Post by retail_person_247 »

I found this ad that has list of ShopRite stores that became Pathmark:

https://jhsnj-archives.org/?a=d&d=A1968 ... ----------
Retail_247
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: list of ShopRite stores that became Pathmark in 1969

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

I noticed Clark, NJ on the list in the ad. Currently there is a very large high volume Shop-Rite directly across the street from this address. Where the Pathmark/Shop-Rite was at 49 Central Ave., there is now a Target which is listed as 45 Central Ave. Prior to that, it was a Bradlee's and even before that a Grants. Did that store somehow become a Shop-Rite again and eventually relocate across the road? I will also add that this Shop-Rite has been there since at least 2002 which was well before Pathmark's sale to A+P and subsequent final demise so it isn't a unit that was purchased in the bankruptcy auction.
marketreportblog

Post by marketreportblog »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: 20 Jun 2022 13:29 I noticed Clark, NJ on the list in the ad. Currently there is a very large high volume Shop-Rite directly across the street from this address. Where the Pathmark/Shop-Rite was at 49 Central Ave., there is now a Target which is listed as 45 Central Ave. Prior to that, it was a Bradlee's and even before that a Grants. Did that store somehow become a Shop-Rite again and eventually relocate across the road? I will also add that this Shop-Rite has been there since at least 2002 which was well before Pathmark's sale to A+P and subsequent final demise so it isn't a unit that was purchased in the bankruptcy auction.
The Supermarkets General ShopRite at 49 Central opened in 1964 and became Pathmark in 1969. There was an ACME at Central and Raritan (1180 Raritan) that later became a ShopRite no later than 1981. In 1997, they moved to the current Clark location. I would bet there was a gap of a good 10 years between the closure of the older one and the opening of the 1180 Raritan store, but of course I don't know for sure.

Then we have the question of owners. Supermarkets General and its predecessors (Supermarkets Operating Corp and General Super Markets) would've owned the 49 Central store. And today, ShopRite Supermarkets Inc (SRS, the corporate division) owns the existing ShopRite. Most of SRS's stores are acquired from Big V in their bankruptcy in 2001, but I'm not sure about the two in NJ, Clark and Spotswood. Big V did have some stores in the Trenton area, which went to Saker Supermarkets, so it's possible Saker passed up those two for one reason or another at Big V's bankruptcy, and SRS took them as a default. The existing Passaic ShopRite was also previously owned by SRS, but I'm not sure if that was ever a Big V. In short, I don't know what SRS's presence in northern NJ was previously, but getting more of an idea of their timeline could inform what happened in Clark.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

marketreportblog wrote: 20 Jun 2022 20:45 Most of SRS's stores are acquired from Big V in their bankruptcy in 2001, but I'm not sure about the two in NJ, Clark and Spotswood.
The Big V situation completely slipped my mind but as I recall wasn't Pathmark trying to make a play for a large amount of those stores as well? If they had succeeded, it wouldn't have been out of the question they could have gotten the Clark store and had a presence there again.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

More like Big V was going through a variety of options due to their own financial issues.
They were looking at just pulling out of ShopRite and being solo (probably supplied by one of the other wholesale suppliers), closing stores and going to Pathmark was an option as well.

Eventually, Shoprite, in order to keep their business, wound up buying them out and that is how they became part of the corporate subsidiary (SRS).

From the ad fliers we used to get up here in NY, the only location I ever remember being mentioned was Montague, NJ (which fairly recently closed and was replaced by a store in PA - this being the area where NY/NJ and PA are all meeting, around Port Jervis NY as a more known location).

So, I don't know that Clark was ever a part of Big V, though if they had other locations (as mentioned being taken by Saker), it is possible that all of those were on a separate ad flier.

However, it is also possible that the corporation had a small subsidiary of stores all along as well, or that both of those were run by someone else who wasn't doing well or just wanted to retire and they took them over that way.

Or, I suppose, someone(s) in the corporation that was just upset at what had occurred and, if they couldn't find someone else to open in that area decided to take it into their "own hands" to do so, even if it took several years to make it happen.

Obviously, however it occurred it was a good choice given that the current store does well.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

There were actually a couple dynamics at play here with Big V and Shoprite. First off, Big V accounted for around a quarter of Wakefern's sales volume so of course they couldn't afford to lose that. There was also the matter of a termination fee Big V would've had to pay if they left Shoprite and I read that was a quarter of a billion dollars. News accounts at the time played that up as a reason they would probably stay with Shoprite although I can't help but think that the bankruptcy court would've negated that fee. Makes no never mind though because Wakefern did end up with the bulk of the Big V stores and they remained under the Shoprite banner.