Former A&P in Plymouth, MA?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

Former A&P in Plymouth, MA?

Post by retail_person_247 »

By any chance is this a former A&P Centennial store?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ocean ... gIgARICCAI
Retail_247
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Former A&P in Plymouth, MA?

Post by Andrew T. »

That building does look fairly A&P-like! But given the specifics, I'm going to have to say this wasn't one...

* The building is easily 50,000 square feet in footprint, and doesn't bear any traces of being expanded. That's far in excess of what a 1950s-1970s supermarket would be.
* The ends of the centennial roof have a vertical cutoff. All the genuine A&P centennials I've seen had a slanted cutoff.
* The entire shopping centre has matching architecture...which tells me it was built by a developer going for a pseudo-colonial vibe.
* I checked Historic Aerials, and the site of the store was wooded wilderness in 1974. A&P had already stopped building centennial stores by that point.

It could have still been a supermarket. The entrance looks supermarkety.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

There is what looks like a (fairly) new Market Basket basically next door (with a Marshalls) - so perhaps that was their older store at one point?
opacity

Post by opacity »

This was a Purity Supreme (1988-1995) and Stop & Shop (1995-1998). The Stop & Shop closed when they opened a store at the Myles Standish Plaza a couple miles down the road.

Here's a photo in the Purity Supreme days:
puritysupreme.png