Plagiarism

This forum is for announcements about the site and the board, "how to" information, etc. Some topics will allow discussion, and some may have polls, but only moderators may post new topics.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Plagiarism

Post by Groceteria »

Some jerk has stolen an entire page from this site and posted it on his own site (images linked directly from my server and all) without attribution, and he didn’t even include a link to the page he stole it from.

Far be it from me to suggest that you add a comment telling him what you think of that, but if you happen to be in the neighborhood:

http://1959-magna.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... 1950s.html

And yes, this is a good example of why it's never a good idea to link directly to other people's images; aside form being rude, it leaves someone else in charge of the content that displays on your page. Hee hee...
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Plagiarism

Post by Jeff »

It looks like he/she removed that post.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

As a side note, I might mention that that website is rather embarassing to begin with: An absurdly-long scroll of posts, with gigantic inline images and no sense of style whatsoever. Usually Blogger (the service) is better than that; although it's ultimately at the mercy of the people who use it...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Jeff wrote:It looks like he/she removed that post.
That happened shortly after I replaced the photos he'd linked to with these:

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote:An absurdly-long scroll of posts, with gigantic inline images and no sense of style whatsoever.
That's apparently because his content all pretty much seems to consist of material sloppily and hastily cut and pasted into Blogger's WYSIWYG editor from other sites, so he gets the "styles" from these other sites without benefit of a link to the actual stylesheets that are supposed to define their appearance.
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

Groceteria wrote:And yes, this is a good example of why it's never a good idea to link directly to other people's images; aside form being rude, it leaves someone else in charge of the content that displays on your page. Hee hee...
Good for you!

And I second the "hee hee"...

I don't post here often, only when I have something reasonable to add to a conversation, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I very much appreciate your efforts.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

umtrr-author wrote:
Groceteria wrote:And yes, this is a good example of why it's never a good idea to link directly to other people's images; aside form being rude, it leaves someone else in charge of the content that displays on your page. Hee hee...
Good for you!

And I second the "hee hee"...

I don't post here often, only when I have something reasonable to add to a conversation, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I very much appreciate your efforts.
Indeed...our thanks for continuing the site...despite unique situations such as this!

This situation...after the guy that wanted to SUE over what he felt was inaccurate info?!

God bless 'em... !!

Again, thanks, and enjoy the holidays !!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Thanks to all, and happy holidays to you as well. I'll be able to give the site much more time and attention in the new year, now that the semester from hell is over.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

David, you have a happy holiday season as well.
If you need anything here in the LA Area, I'm sure there are a lot here who can help.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I did something like this once to a guy who used an image of a White Castle from my site in his by linking it in (I caught it based on my site hit stats, which were unusually large for the image file, so I tracked it back.) Below my image, he had some crazy "WASSUP THIS IS WHERE WE KICKED IT OLD SCHOOL IN THE HIZZHOUSE" under it, or some such nonsense.

So I replaced the image with the same image, but in red bold letters wrote "THIS IDIOT IS STEALING MY BANDWIDTH" over it.

He caught on pretty quickly and stopped linking to the image.

But what REALLY drives me nuts is something that's happened twice now...I'm reading Google News, there's an article about something with a picture next to it, and the picture is one I took. I have caught a major city newspaper and a major business publication lifting images off my site for their own stories with no credit of any kind. And these are just completely random catches!

Each had "comments" sections, so I left comments that the pictures were stolen from me. The newspaper ignored it (never published the comment, nor removed the photo). The business publication immediately removed the image, removed my comment, and banned my IP address from accessing their site again. I had to access the site from my work computer later to see the change.

It's not like I would have said 'no' if they'd asked. I've given permission to several publications to use my images previously.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I actually use a server setting that keeps people from being able to link directly to images on my server, and it had stopped this guy (my stuff showed up as broken images on his site or on any site that tries it) but when I found the post I mentioned, I actually turned it off for his site so I could display my "edits".

Yes, I'm vindictive. But only when necessary.