Former Boston Market locations in your area

Moderator: Groceteria

Brian Lutz
Veteran

Former Boston Market locations in your area

Post by Brian Lutz »

I'm sure that I'm not the only one here to remember the relatively brief period of time in which it seemed like there was a Boston Market on every street corner. Between 1996 and 1998 or so, up here in the Seattle area Boston Market started opening new restaurants (most of them newly constructed freestanding locations) like crazy, but the rapid overexpansion ended up sending the company into chapter 11, and as a result every single location closed down practically overnight. As they vacated the market (and presumably quite a few others,) they left a rather large number of empty buildings in their wake, which eventually got reused for various restaurants and other businesses. The one here in town is a Sleep Country USA (mattress store.) A few of them got turned into Starbucks (which also took over a number of closed Burger Kings here as well.) At least one got turned into a bank. One is now a Blockbuster video. The buildings seem to have been reused for practically everything BUT chicken.

One of the projects I've been meaning to do for my Blog is to put together a compilation of the former Boston Market locations around here, and show what they got turned into.

I am aware that Boston Market is still operating in a number of areas, but I don't think there's an open one within 1,000 miles of here after the bankruptcy. I'm curious to find out what former Boston Markets in other parts of the country got turned into.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
javelin
Veteran

Re: Former Boston Market locations in your area

Post by javelin »

The former location on bear Valley Road in Victorville, CA is now an Arby's, and has been for much longer than it was a Boston Market. Directly across the street is a former Kenny Rogers Roasters, now a chinese restaurant.

There are a few remaining in CA, but the closest I know of is in Redlands.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

There is at least one former Kenny Rogers Roasters around here in Federal Way WA (ironically enough, also directly across the street from a former Boston Market) that turned into a Japanese steak house. The Boston Market there got split into an indie coffee shop and a Qdoba Mexican Grill.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

There were two of them on Fourth Plain in Vancouver,WA.

One of them became a Jack In The Box. The other one, in Orchards,built at the same time as the nearby strip mall, is now Columbia Credit Union.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Monterey Park Boston Market opened around 1995. Its still open and does a lot of business still. It was originally a florist shop.
Kroger472
Contributor

Post by Kroger472 »

The Boston Market on Washtenaw Avenue In Ann Arbor MI just closed and is being converted over to a McDonalds. Something to do with the divestment of Boston Market by McDonalds last year. This location dates from the late 80's or early 90's.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

The Boston Market in Silverdale, WA is an independent "Chung's Teriyaki"
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

All the Boston Market's in PA (at least in South eastern PA) were former Roy Rogers locations. There are a scattered few still open as Boston Market, but many have been converted to other restaurants (Wendy's, Saladworks, etc.). A few near me converted to Donato's pizza restaurants (during the time McDonalds owned them as well), but they didn't last too long. One became an indie. pizza place, another became a Wendy's that lasted not even a year. That location is now a local bank.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Diamond Bar Blvd and Grand, Diamond Bar CA (Ralphs Shopping Center)

Currently a Thai/Vietnamese noodle house.

By the way, the Ralphs (no pharmacy) first opened as a Safeway with pharmacy.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

That location though never became a Vons if I remember correctly. It went from Safeway to Ralphs.
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

San Juan Capistrano is closed, but I have no idea what's in there now. 32022 Camino Capistrano, Ste C.
Streetview still shows the Boston Market signage.

I was just down there 2 days before this topic appeared. Oh well, next time.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

The Boston Market in Duarte (CA) began life as a Wendy's, then became Boston Market, then sat empty for a long time, and now is an Alberto's Mexican restaurant (that always seems to be on the verge of closing as well.) It was strange to have a Boston Market with a drive-through lane (that was built for the Wendy's.) They didn't use it in its Boston Market incarnation, but Alberto's reopened it. I'm not sure why that location can't seem to support a fast food restaurant-- it's in a busy shopping center with a Target and a Denny's (originally Conrad's), and a lot of smaller stores.

I believe the only remaining Kenny Rogers Roasters location in the US is in the food court at Ontario Mills mall.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Boston Markets with drive-thrus (at least the freestanding ones) were the norm around here. Some of the former locations even still have the drive-thrus although they are no longer being used for anything. One got turned into a Blockbuster Video and kind of halfheartedly stuck a rental return drop box there, another got turned into a vitamin shop, and just left the thing there with a sign reading "This is not a drive-thru, the window was here before we moved in." It looks like someone uses the space as an office.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

J-Man wrote: I believe the only remaining Kenny Rogers Roasters location in the US is in the food court at Ontario Mills mall.
As far as I know, it is.
MassMan
Contributor

Post by MassMan »

I can't let all you Left Coast people have all the fun.

Here in central Massachusetts, according to the Boston Market website, there are 32 BM locations within 50 miles of my street address. There is just one within 5 miles of me and that is in Worcester, MA but I don't know how long it's been there. There used to be one in Shrewsbury, MA (next to Worcester) but it converted to a McDonald's some years ago. It's located right next to a Burger King.

There is a BM maybe 8 to 10 miles away from me that I pass by a couple nights a week depending on the route I take home from work. I'm pretty sure that's been there awhile.

And something I was not aware of.....the BM website says that there are Boston Market locations at some of the service areas along the Mass Turnpike.

Aside from that Shrewsbury BM that closed and converted to Mickey D's, there was another restaurant about 5 miles away from me that was like a BM and, in fact, I think was owned by them. For the life of me, I can't recall the name. But that converted to a BM for a short time and then closed. I think that was last year.

Now if you want to talk supermarket locations that carry BM (frozen) food, they are everywhere including BJ's Wholesale Clubs, Stop&Shop supermarkets and Shaw's supermarkets.