Kroger Family Centers

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

BatteryMill
Contributor
Posts: 94
Joined: 23 Sep 2019 20:29

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by BatteryMill »

wnetmacman wrote: 07 Jul 2023 15:37
BatteryMill wrote: 07 Jul 2023 13:30 There are still a few missing from AR, NC and some other states, though good work. Don't forget to credit the Kroger store list and South Texas Retail for our findings.
Also missing - the short lived greenhouse Family Center in Opelousas, LA. It ran from 1980-1982.kropel.jpg
Did this location include the Family Center general merchandise mix?
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

BatteryMill wrote: 08 Jul 2023 01:20
wnetmacman wrote: 07 Jul 2023 15:37
BatteryMill wrote: 07 Jul 2023 13:30 There are still a few missing from AR, NC and some other states, though good work. Don't forget to credit the Kroger store list and South Texas Retail for our findings.
Also missing - the short lived greenhouse Family Center in Opelousas, LA. It ran from 1980-1982.kropel.jpg
Did this location include the Family Center general merchandise mix?
The Kroger FC location in College Station opened with Family Center signage but only had the regular grocery / food and drug mix. (on my list I have it under "never opened" since it never actually opened as a family center despite its signage)

I could be wrong but I think that location was also a greenhouse.
Retail_247
wnetmacman
Veteran
Posts: 377
Joined: 06 Nov 2005 23:48

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by wnetmacman »

retail_person_247 wrote: 08 Jul 2023 14:43 The Kroger FC location in College Station opened with Family Center signage but only had the regular grocery / food and drug mix. (on my list I have it under "never opened" since it never actually opened as a family center despite its signage)

I could be wrong but I think that location was also a greenhouse.
College Station was built as a Family Center; similar to Opelousas, it was a late one. The Family Center stores that stayed until the end (like the 6 remaining) had their merchandising adjusted, because Kroger found that they were good at some facets, but not others. Essentially, if the store was built with the Family Center sign, it was a Family Center. There are newspaper ads for College Station denoting this. It did open as one, though it did not stay long. We've had this debate before here. All of the remaining stores became Kroger Food & Drug stores, and later Kroger Signature stores.
Scott Greer
pseudo3d
Veteran
Posts: 386
Joined: 24 Sep 2012 00:04

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: 09 Jul 2023 23:38
retail_person_247 wrote: 08 Jul 2023 14:43 The Kroger FC location in College Station opened with Family Center signage but only had the regular grocery / food and drug mix. (on my list I have it under "never opened" since it never actually opened as a family center despite its signage)

I could be wrong but I think that location was also a greenhouse.
College Station was built as a Family Center; similar to Opelousas, it was a late one. The Family Center stores that stayed until the end (like the 6 remaining) had their merchandising adjusted, because Kroger found that they were good at some facets, but not others. Essentially, if the store was built with the Family Center sign, it was a Family Center. There are newspaper ads for College Station denoting this. It did open as one, though it did not stay long. We've had this debate before here. All of the remaining stores became Kroger Food & Drug stores, and later Kroger Signature stores.
It was a Greenhouse but I cannot find any articles or photos on the store denoting it being a Family Center--the Eagle isn't digitized past the late 1970s. They did, unusually, have a "Family Center Video" next door that was a full video store next to the store with a haphazardly created interior entrance, but it was after the fact.
wnetmacman
Veteran
Posts: 377
Joined: 06 Nov 2005 23:48

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by wnetmacman »

wnetmacman wrote: 06 Oct 2012 12:14 Since you seem not to believe anything I show you, here's the indisputable evidence I gave you there too:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... 42,5251829

It's an ad from The Victoria (Texas) Advocate. Look in column three, third listing down. This is the EXACT store you don't believe me on. It's one thing to dispute when you have little proof. When you have CONCRETE EVIDENCE that shoots down your 'theory', it's not kosher to tell someone they're wrong.
And we revisit College Station again,so here's proof from a Kroger ad that I posted in 2012. It *was* a Family Center, though it opened in 1977, so it most likely did not open with everything the 1968-1972 originals had, but it did brand that way. I believe 1977 would have been after the first remix, so no auto or garden areas.
Scott Greer
pseudo3d
Veteran
Posts: 386
Joined: 24 Sep 2012 00:04

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: 03 Aug 2023 11:27
wnetmacman wrote: 06 Oct 2012 12:14 Since you seem not to believe anything I show you, here's the indisputable evidence I gave you there too:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... 42,5251829

It's an ad from The Victoria (Texas) Advocate. Look in column three, third listing down. This is the EXACT store you don't believe me on. It's one thing to dispute when you have little proof. When you have CONCRETE EVIDENCE that shoots down your 'theory', it's not kosher to tell someone they're wrong.
And we revisit College Station again,so here's proof from a Kroger ad that I posted in 2012. It *was* a Family Center, though it opened in 1977, so it most likely did not open with everything the 1968-1972 originals had, but it did brand that way. I believe 1977 would have been after the first remix, so no auto or garden areas.
That was the Bryan store. The College Station store came later.
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

Retail_247
wnetmacman
Veteran
Posts: 377
Joined: 06 Nov 2005 23:48

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by wnetmacman »

So this one appears to be a special case - Hines Avenue is now called Independance, but it's still there. No idea how long it operated, though. Ollie's, Dollar General and some smaller stores operate there now:

https://goo.gl/maps/fpw9F9xAGJRKW9bk6
Scott Greer
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

What about the Lawrence, NC location which I just found

https://books.google.com/books?id=jlUyA ... er&f=false

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/919 ... ce&match=1

I can't find the exact location though, maybe where the Dillon's currently is? I'm aware that they're a Kroger brand but the building itself looks quite mall
Retail_247
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

With the 2 locations that I just mentioned, that brings the number of known Kroger Family Centers (known to me) to a grand total of 45.

If you want to view all the locations that I've tracked you can find them here:

viewtopic.php?p=23530
Retail_247
wnetmacman
Veteran
Posts: 377
Joined: 06 Nov 2005 23:48

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by wnetmacman »

retail_person_247 wrote: 05 Sep 2023 16:38 What about the Lawrence, NC location which I just found

https://books.google.com/books?id=jlUyA ... er&f=false

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/919 ... ce&match=1

I can't find the exact location though, maybe where the Dillon's currently is? I'm aware that they're a Kroger brand but the building itself looks quite mall
The Dillons is a former Family Center. If you look closely at the Street View, you can see the aggregate tilt walls under the paint.
Scott Greer
BatteryMill
Contributor
Posts: 94
Joined: 23 Sep 2019 20:29

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by BatteryMill »

wnetmacman wrote: 05 Sep 2023 16:46 The Dillons is a former Family Center. If you look closely at the Street View, you can see the aggregate tilt walls under the paint.
Fun fact, the Lawrence Kroger survived beyond Kroger's exit from Kansas City in 1976, the Dillons buyout in 1982, and even their vast downsizing of St. Louis operations in 1986.
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

retail_person_247 wrote: 05 Sep 2023 16:38 What about the Lawrence, NC location which I just found

https://books.google.com/books?id=jlUyA ... er&f=false

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/919 ... ce&match=1

I can't find the exact location though, maybe where the Dillon's currently is? I'm aware that they're a Kroger brand but the building itself looks quite mall
Apparently I meant Lawrence Kansas not North Carolina my mistake
Retail_247
retail_person_247
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: 02 Apr 2020 17:40

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by retail_person_247 »

retail_person_247 wrote: 05 Sep 2023 16:41 With the 2 locations that I just mentioned, that brings the number of known Kroger Family Centers (known to me) to a grand total of 45.

If you want to view all the locations that I've tracked you can find them here:

viewtopic.php?p=23530
I've already listed the store in Greenville, MS

But what about the store in Greenville, NC, which I just found out about:

https://www.newspapers.com/search/?quer ... ince=us-nc
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/622 ... le&match=1

Which now brings the total number of known locations to 46. However, I couldn't find the exact address of the building, just the fact that it was located somewhere on US-264 ALT
Retail_247
wnetmacman
Veteran
Posts: 377
Joined: 06 Nov 2005 23:48

Re: Kroger Family Centers

Post by wnetmacman »

I think I found the missing link in Arkansas - there appears to only have been one.

Fort Smith, 4000 N O St.:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LjyUQF5M16YhSRfL7

Currently Troung Son Supermarket and a few local stores. Heavily remodeled, and of brick construction, not the aggregate tilt wall most of the others were. historicaerials.com shows a 1971 view that looks all too familiar. I'm not sure when Kroger left Western Arkansas, but I'd bet this store went with it, as subsequent views show a different look.
Scott Greer
Post Reply