Lucky Stores Distribution

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Dean wrote:Lastly...note how on the salad dressing jar...that it states Distributed by Markets Inc., Buena Park CA. What's the history on this? Former corporate name? Former private label company that Lucky acquired?
I'd guess it's a "front" for Lucky in case they were to distribute these products to subsidiaries, like Eagle or Gemco, or smaller chains entirely outside the company. Safeway now uses the name "Omnibrands, Inc." (and formerly used "Glencourt, Inc.") in a similar fashion. Kroger has "Inter-American Products."

Now that it's clear the two Lucky bags are different, I think they're probably about ten years apart, based on the typefaces.
luckysaver
Veteran

Distributed by Markets Inc

Post by luckysaver »

Another name for "Markets Inc" was

"LKS Products Inc, Dublin CA"

LKS distributed to Lucky and its subsidiaries products of these brands: Harvest Day, (later version) Lady Lee, and a generic yellow label.

In the mid 1990's, LKS used "Lucky Stores Inc, Buena Park CA" and later morphed into
"American Procurement and Logistics Company, Salt Lake City UT",
as American Stores was unifying some of their phantom distribution "companies". After the Albertsons merger, APLC became a phantom subsidiary of the Albertsons Drug Stores division and continued to distribute materials to Savon/Osco.

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Re: Distributed by Markets Inc

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:Another name for "Markets Inc" was

"LKS Products Inc, Dublin CA"

LKS distributed to Lucky and its subsidiaries products of these brands: Harvest Day, (later version) Lady Lee, and a generic yellow label.

In the mid 1990's, LKS used "Lucky Stores Inc, Buena Park CA" and later morphed into
"American Procurement and Logistics Company, Salt Lake City UT",
as American Stores was unifying some of their phantom distribution "companies". After the Albertsons merger, APLC became a phantom subsidiary of the Albertsons Drug Stores division and continued to distribute materials to Savon/Osco.

luckysaver
So, LKS WAS Lucky...or as you stated, distributed to Lucky? Meaning was it another company that sold to Lucky?

I distinctly remember Dublin CA printed on the packages...yet, I don't recall the Buena Park CA location listed for Lucky.

I thought it was more of a Bay Area-based company. Were there Lucky offices in Buena Park? What are they now?

thanks!
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Dean wrote: I thought it was more of a Bay Area-based company. Were there Lucky offices in Buena Park? What are they now?

thanks!
Lucky had a large distribution center on Knott Ave. just south of Artesia Blvd. After the merger with Albertsons, it was an Albertsons Distro center, and if I recall, when I was in SoCal last, it was owned by another grocery chain, but I can't remember who.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

submariner wrote:
Dean wrote: I thought it was more of a Bay Area-based company. Were there Lucky offices in Buena Park? What are they now?

thanks!
Lucky had a large distribution center on Knott Ave. just south of Artesia Blvd. After the merger with Albertsons, it was an Albertsons Distro center, and if I recall, when I was in SoCal last, it was owned by another grocery chain, but I can't remember who.
thanks, I now recall the other thread where the DCs were discussed:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=988
luckysaver
Veteran

LKS Products Inc

Post by luckysaver »

Dean,

"LKS" is short for Lucky Stores.

The Knott Ave DC also served as the Socal division offices for both Lucky and Savon Drugs as well as the managment for Lucky Savon combo stores. Dublin was a DC and the third California DC was in San Leandro (NorCal offices). Knott had a large lecture hall that was used for their free Savon lecture/workshop series that were offered to customers, mostly about diabetes care and management.

Knott DC and San Leandro DC were sold by Albertsons a couple of years ago to private logistics firms as Albertsons (before the breakup) used their La Habra, Brea, and Irvine DC's for SoCal.

The Supervalu-operated Lucky (such as the one on Valley in Alhambra) is under Albertsons management. The new Lucky office is at the regional Albertsons office on Malvern Ave in Fullerton. THe Savemart-operated Lucky has their offices at Savemart's HQ in Modesto.

luckysaver
circlekkid
Contributor

Re: Lucky Stores Distribution

Post by circlekkid »

markets inc. consisted of lucky,gemco,food basket san diego,and L and g sporting goods based out of san leandro with a so-cal dc in buena park.i worked there and it was big!