Safeway, 1335 Webster, San Francisco

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Safeway, 1335 Webster, San Francisco

Post by Groceteria »

Moved from another thread:
TheStranger wrote:As for the Webster Street Safeway, I got an email a few days ago from a former Safeway employee that claimed it was never a Brentwood but a 1980s original Safeway. But I suspect it may have received a new building and address change when Safeway came along.
I'm still pretty sure that store had another tenant prior to Safeway. My reasoning is that the interior layout (as it sill existed, at least in 2005) is radically different from anything I've ever seen in any other Safeway from any era. There's the central produce area, which Safeway has pretty much never done, and the strange ceiling setup above the checkouts, among other things.

It pretty much just screams "conversion", sort of like the odd store next to the former White Front in South San Francisco. Plus, the timing is right.

For what it's worth, here's an archived post from the old message board:
Mayfair was in business at that location for the 1960s up to the early to mid 1970s. The local chain Brentwood Markets took over the space after Mayfair shut down their Bay Area stores (including two locations in San Francisco at the Northpoint Shopping Center at Bay and Mason and at Geary and Webster). I remember the Brentwood name was on a shorter banner that covered the Mayfair sign during the Brentwood's first year of operation there so the sign read "Brentwood-air").
My vote is for Farmer's having been in an earlier building on the site. It's in an old urban renewal tract anyway, so there's no telling what sort of transactions are connected to that piece of land. The surrounding highrise buildings were built in 1990, so Farmer's may have actually been where one of them is now; the one at the front of the plot has a more legitimate claim to a Geary Boulevard address anyway.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I HAVE seen a Safeway with a central produce area, that is the North Davis location (at The Marketplace), but that was originally two seperate Safeway-owned stores combined into one building. I've also been in a marina Safeway with 1960s decor that has produce section in the middle (Lion Supermarket in east San Jose) but the decor may have been moved around if the produce section is not original.

Isn't this area part of the whole Japantown/Western Addition redevelopment zone, around where Geary runs as an expressway?
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

TheStranger wrote:Isn't this area part of the whole Japantown/Western Addition redevelopment zone, around where Geary runs as an expressway?
Yeah. Webster is one of the streets that was widened. If you go a few blocks south of the Safeway, you'll see old buildings still standing on one side and nothing on the other side where the extra lanes were added. I think it was originally planned to end up a more important thoroughfare than it eventually became. It was Robert Moses-style renewal at its least subtle.

If anyone happens to be in SF and happens to feel like going to the main library and doing a year-by-year city directory search on this plot (13xx Webster and 17xx Geary) from, say, 1970 to 1985, I have a shiny new quarter in my pocket for them.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Doing a quick google search of that 1755 Geary address, it is now assigned to "Integrated Technology Group" and the African American Chamber of Commerce amongst other tenants, leading me to think that the Farmer's must have been exactly where those high-rises are now (and the current structure there took over its address). I wonder if Farmer's even used the current Webster Street supermarket building at all.
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Safeway, 1335 Webster, San Francisco

Post by Groceteria »

An article in the 14 November 1983 Supermarket News describes the Webster Street store as a new build on "redvelopment property", designed specifically to cater to the the diverse area surrounding it and to appeal to both high- and low-income shoppers with service departments, etc. The layout was apparently somewhat experimental for them.
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: Safeway, 1335 Webster, San Francisco

Post by Jason B. »

SFGate.com reported on January 4, 2024 that the 1335 Webster Street Safeway store in San Francisco will close in March 2024. See: https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/fil ... 590145.php The headline reads, "Controversial San Francisco Fillmore Safeway plans to close after 40 years."

KTVU, the Fox television station in Oakland, ran a news story about the closure of this store on January 4, 2024. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbyK5RFxAw