Max Foods Montebello Closing

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Yes, the Pharmacy was added in the mid 80's. You can tell that it was just awkardly placed there. I think it was around this time they added the bakery and deli area as well. We never went to this market when I was young. We used to go to the Albertsons on Atlantic.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

thanks Jeff for keeping us informed! Great pix!

Besides the ZODYS doors...it still has the ZODYS feel...with the high windows...and the large stucco area above the windows. Thought this would FINALLY go after all these years!

Is it official that Trader Joes is moving into the soon vacant former Albertsons?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

So I went to the market today. They were doing some very last minute (day after they open) work and actually removed the front doors from Zodys! A big window is there now. The store still has a Zodys feel. The high ceiling as you walk in is still there, as is all the colums, but a wonder remodel. Its great to have a nice new market in the area. They made the crappy Max Foods into an excellent Albertsons.

Its funny staring across the street to the old Albertsons/Lucky and next door to the old Albertsons/current Office Depot.

And Dean, no word yet. The store is about 30,000 sq ft though.
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Max Foods Montebello Closing

Post by Jeff »

Something odd I noticed today about the old Lucky/Albertsons-Savon across the street.

As I was driving down Via Campo, they left the Sav-on Drugs sign on the road marquee. Considering they took down the Albertsons signs on the store a couple weeks ago, I wonder if they are planning to convert part of the store into a Sav-on stand alone drug store.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

That conversion to a new Savon Drugs may be likely. Recall the CVS next door to the new Albertsons was the old Savon Drugs. As part of the original sale of Albertsons Inc, Supervalu Pharmacies Inc (the drug division that oversees all banner pharmacies) acquired the in-store pharmacy operations of Albertsons. CVS acquired Albertsons/American Drug Stores Inc (Albertsons' standalone drugstores), which probably means that the Albertsons division of SV may or may not be able to setup standalone drugstores, since CVS acquired all California Savon and Health n Home units. It may also be possible for the old location to become a second class Albertsons (perhaps bringing back Lucky to that location) if SV still owns the site.

luckysaver
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

I have been told that this former Lucky/Albertsons will indeed be one of the first new stand-alone Savon Drug stores to roll out later in the first quarter of this year. We'll see if this happens or not.... seems like it will though.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I'll keep an eye on it. Nothing has been even removed from the inside of the store. all that was taken out was aisle signs.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Sav-on Drug sign was removed over the last couple of days.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

They might be getting ready to put up a new bigger Sav-On size. Just hoping! I would love to see Sav-On back. Not too keen on CVS anymore since they got a bit high with their prices.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

No work has gone on with the store itself, not even removal of the shelves.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

ieguy441 wrote:I have been told that this former Lucky/Albertsons will indeed be one of the first new stand-alone Savon Drug stores to roll out later in the first quarter of this year. We'll see if this happens or not.... seems like it will though.
I now heard Smart & Final.

Any confirmation?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Yes, it is going to be a new Smart And Final.

The old Lucky has been gutted and a lot of the outside has been removed.
I'll try and get some pictures in the next few days.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

In just a few days, framing has started to happen on the exterior of the market. Gone is the 1960's look.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

I hope S & M maintains the original LUCKY street sign...shown on page 3 of this thread!

That seemed to be the trademark of the LUCKY stores of that era.

What do you call that?! An inverted trapezoid,parallelogram, etc?!? I hated geometry! Ha!
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Dean wrote:What do you call that?! An inverted trapezoid,parallelogram, etc?!? I hated geometry! Ha!

Trapezoid. A Parallelogram would have both angle going the same direction.

"The More You Know!"
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"