Nanuet Mall (Nanuet, NY)

Moderator: Groceteria

Max
Contributor

Nanuet Mall (Nanuet, NY)

Post by Max »

The Nanuet Mall was Rockland County's largest mall for nearly 30 years. The mall opened in 1969 and was originally anchored by Bamberger's (which became Macy's in 1986) and Sears. In the mid-1990's, a new wing of the mall was built that was anchored by A&S (which subsequently became a Stern's and is now a Boscov's).

Yesterday, I actually visited the mall for the first time (as I wanted to visit Boscov's), and was deeply saddened that the mall was over half empty (although the department stores still do well there). Obviously, the nearby Palisades Center (which, aside from being built in 1998 is also the ugliest mall I have ever seen, given that the HVAC units are exposed everywhere throughout the mall) is the reason why the Nanuet Mall is dead.

Aside from any memories that you may have of the Nanuet Mall, I am interested in the answers to the following questions:

*Why did R.H. Macy & Co. decide to use the Bamberger's name at the Nanuet Mall when all of its other stores in New York State were called Macy's?

*What was the mall's grand opening like?

*Throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's, what smaller stores and restaurants were at the Nanuet Mall?

*When exactly did the Nanuet Mall die? Did it die immediately after the Palisades Center opened, or did it take several years (and if so, how many years)?
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Re: Nanuet Mall (Nanuet, NY)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Looking online, I can tell you that these are some original/early tenants:

*Friendly Restaurant
*Zippy's
*Jo Anne's Nuts
*Carriage House Restaurant
*Hungry Lion Restaurant
*Fanny Farmer
*Aladdin's Castle
*Burger King

The Sears store also had a cafeteria, which evidently became Herman's Sporting Goods.
SUGARMAGNOLIA

Re: Nanuet Mall (Nanuet, NY)

Post by SUGARMAGNOLIA »

Hey,
i was wondering if anyone has pics of the old nanuet mall? The hungry lion? the Carriage house. How can we find some? What year did these go out of business? I'd love to see some pics!