Southern CA defunct chains

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

scanman2
Contributor

Southern CA defunct chains

Post by scanman2 »

Hi, I would love to hear anybodys recollections of some of the chains that have disappeared from southern CA especially Orange County. I lived in Anaheim for the 1st 15 years of my life and remember such stores as McCoys Markets (Ball Rd & Beach Blvd I think) I remember poking holes in the shrink wrapped packages of lard!, Thriftimart (maybe in Garden Grove?) Foodland (Ball & Euclid Anaheim) Market Basket (Ball & Broadway Anaheim) Mayfair Markets (Ball & Euclid Anaheim) Two Guys Buena Park, Gene Tunks (sp) Westminster, White Front, Fedmart (Lincoln Ave Anaheim) Gemco (Lincoln Ave Anaheim) and how about Linbrook Hardware (Lincoln & Brookhurst Anaheim)? I really liked Linbrook Hardware as they had the whole front of the store decorated in Christmas theme during the holidays. I also remember getting out first live Christmas tree there in the parking lot after having a nasty fake tree for many years. Oh any how about what used to be called Buena Park Center (BPC) before they enclosed it and made it Buena Park Mall? I used to love to get hot caramel corn at a booth outside of Sears. I remember going to that Sears buying Tyco train cars for my model train set with my paper route money and going in early October downstairs to Ticketron (now Ticketmaster) to buy tickets for Knotts Berry Farm Halloween Haunt.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This is a great idea, but there are already threads on a number of these chains, and I'd prefer that a new and separate thread be started on any individual chain or store that doesn't already have one here.

Let's try to avoid these "catch all" threads and be as specific as possible. Overly broad threads like this tend to get really sloppy and overlap with any number of other threads, which is confusing and makes it hard for most readers to find relevant info.

Thanks,
David