Modesto, CA former Lucky (?)

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

justin karimzad
Veteran

Modesto, CA former Lucky (?)

Post by justin karimzad »

I was told that this Save Mart was originally a Lucky, and I know that the neighboring Big Lots started as a Thrifty Drug. The shopping center sure looks similar to the Marlin Cove shopping center from 1972 at 1050 Foster City Blvd. in Foster City, CA that also housed a Lucky and a Thrifty, and has been mostly demolished. Does anybody know when this opened originally, and if the Save Mart was indeed a Lucky before?
http://www.savemart.com/storeresults.php?storeid=335
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

It was originally a Lucky, although I don't know when it opened. Save-Mart took it over in July 1997 when Lucky finally pulled out of the Central Valley altogether. Save-Mart acquired a total of ten stores in Modesto, Turlock, Stockton, Manteca, Atwater, and Merced at this time.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I'm pretty sure Lucky retained the Merced store.

Not sure if it was retained by Lucky North or Lucky South, but it is part of Cerberus North now.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

storewanderer wrote:I'm pretty sure Lucky retained the Merced store.
Not sure if it was retained by Lucky North or Lucky South, but it is part of Cerberus North now.
The central valley, other than Bakersfield was Lucky North.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I'm pretty sure Tulare was Lucky South. I recall stopping in there when North had the Rewards Card, and they were not participating, nor was the rest of Lucky South at that time.

It is also possible that Tulare was simply using SoCal's ad program but actually controled by Lucky North.

I do know Tulare is presently a Supervalu store.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re: Modesto, CA former Lucky (?)

justin karimzad wrote:I was told that this Save Mart was originally a Lucky, and I know that the neighboring Big Lots started as a Thrifty Drug. The shopping center sure looks similar to the Marlin Cove shopping center from 1972 at 1050 Foster City Blvd. in Foster City, CA that also housed a Lucky and a Thrifty, and has been mostly demolished. Does anybody know when this opened originally, and if the Save Mart was indeed a Lucky before?
http://www.savemart.com/storeresults.php?storeid=335
It opened as Lucky on March 24, 1976
Buckethead
Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

The Modesto Lucky on Dale/Standiford is my all time fave grocery store. We went there several times a week. It was next to a Long's Drug store. While Save Mart may have acquired the building in 97, they had stopped being Luckys long before that.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Buckethead wrote:The Modesto Lucky on Dale/Standiford is my all time fave grocery store. We went there several times a week. It was next to a Long's Drug store. While Save Mart may have acquired the building in 97, they had stopped being Lucky long before that.
Actually, this store was still a Lucky until 1997; I remember seeing it. Also, my grandpa, not having noticed the changeover, tried using his Lucky rewards card at this store, but the checker told him "We're not Lucky anymore, we're Save Mart". Why was this your favorite grocery store?