Alpha Beta Distribution Center--La Habra, California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Alpha Beta Distribution Center--La Habra, California

Post by Dean »

The original Alpha Beta distribution center (DC) on Harbor Boulevard in La Habra CA has had quite a history of companies! Originally the Alpha Beta (DC)...it became the LUCKY DC. Then the Albertsons/Sav-On DC. I believe it is now the CVS DC--I have not been driven by there in some time. What is comical...is that the original Alpha Beta oval sign stays...just the name of the company changes within the oval.

Jason B.
Veteran

Lucky Stores-So. Cal. Distribution Center-Buena Park

Post by Jason B. »

I believe that the distribution center for Lucky Stores in southern California was located in Buena Park (Orange County). Is that distribution center still in operation?

The counterpart Lucky distribution center in northern California was located on the westerly side of the Nimitz Freeway in San Leandro.
J-Mac
Veteran

Re: Lucky Stores-So. Cal. Distribution Center-Buena Park

Post by J-Mac »

Jason B. wrote:I believe that the distribution center for Lucky Stores in southern California was located in Buena Park (Orange County). Is that distribution center still in operation?

The counterpart Lucky distribution center in northern California was located on the westerly side of the Nimitz Freeway in San Leandro.
Buena Park shut down a few years ago, it was north of Orangethorpe Ave west of Beach Blvd., can't remember the exact street name (maybe Knott Ave.) I don't know what alternate location Albertsons used, although I remember seeing another south Orange County name in lieu of Buena Park on the trucks (Irvine or somewhere around there.)

So does this mean (in the Lucky-American Stores era) that the La Habra location was mostly focused on the drugstore end of the business, and Buena Park on foods?

J-Mac
Dean
Veteran

Re: Lucky Stores-So. Cal. Distribution Center-Buena Park

Post by Dean »

So does this mean (in the Lucky-American Stores era) that the La Habra location was mostly focused on the drugstore end of the business, and Buena Park on foods?

That I am not sure. What I do believe occurred during the Albertsons-era is that since the original Albertsons DC was down the street (which they maintained as well)...I think they divided items/classes of products between these locations.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

The Lucky facility was at 6565 Knott Ave., Buena Park. It served as a divisional office and distribution center for Luicky and Gemco. Up until around 1980, Grocery, Meat/Deli, Frozen, Produce, Liquor, General Merchandise and HBC was distributed out of Buena Park. The facility also contained a meat plant, milk plant, ice cream plant and bakery. In 1980, Dry Grocey and Produce was moved to a new facility in Irvine, which I believe is still operated by Albertsons (Super Valu). Some Dry Grocery was moved back to Buena Park after Gemco's demise in 1986, since Irvine was busting at the seams and the amount of GM shipped dropped with the closure of Gemco.
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

The La Habra Alpha Beta DC (later Albertsons) was called by AB as 777 Harbor. It served as corporate headquarters, dry grocery DC, fleet management, and had the Van DeKamp bakery. Albertsons acquired it sometime later and used it as their regional Savon/Osco/Health N Home DC, since Albertsons had their grocery DC's in Brea and Irvine. As part of the drug division (they called it Drug Region) sale to CVS, the La Habra DC was included, so now it is a CVS DC and local office of CVS Transportation (CVS's in house trucking subsidiary).

It was a huge complex. Along Lambert Road was the loading area for all Albertsons trailers (blue and white "Albertsons" and the modern "Albertsons-Savon"). If you're lucky back then, you may have spotted some older "Lucky" trailers parked there.

The Lucky complex (after Albertsons acquired American Stores) served as headquarters for Savon Drugs' socal operations (Savon, Health n Home, and some Savon Express). Albertsons invited customers from their socal pharmacy operations (Albertsons Better Care, Savon Pharmacy, Savon Drugs, Savon Express, Health n Home) to a classroom used for a Diabetes Management program. I believe this was also a regional management training center for Albertsons and Savon. It is probably now closed since Savon headquarters are now in Scottsdale AZ.

socalgrocer
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

socalgrocer wrote:It was a huge complex. Along Lambert Road was the loading area for all Albertsons trailers (blue and white "Albertsons" and the modern "Albertsons-Savon"). If you're lucky back then, you may have spotted some older "Lucky" trailers parked there.
What I thought was great was at the extreme corner of their lot facing Harbor...they parked OLD trailers with the OLD logos...as a nostalgic kind of thing. During the Alpha Beta era...I recall OLD SKAGGS trailers there. Was fun to see.

Current Southern California chain Stater Brothers does something like this @ their DC along the 91 fwy in Riverside. They also drive these older tractor/trailer beauties in local parades. ALWAYS a crowd favorite!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've deleted a string on off-topic and non-history related posts.

New members: please pay attention to the subject and the rules of the forum.

Thanks,
David