Hughes Market in Southern California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Skimolopez

Hughes Market in Southern California

Post by Skimolopez »

A number of years ago I worked at Hughes Markets in Southern California, I don't hear anything regarding the history of this now defunct chain. I worked there from 1977 through 1984. I always thought it was a great store to work in...I remember some of the history behind it, it was founded by Joe Hughes, his wife was Elsa Hughes who's father apparently owned the Thriftymart Grocery store chain in Southern California gave Joe his first store which I recall was store #1 located in Hollywood at Highland & Franklin as if I recall right as a wedding gift. I was sadden when I heard the chain was bought out by Ralphs. Anyone else remember Hughes?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Hughes is still alive, technically.

http://www.howsmarkets.com/

As soon as they were sold to Ralphs, the Hughes family bought a couple Ralphs stores and converted them to Hows Markets.

They kept the same blue and white interior colors, and stocked the same merch, and fresh meats.

There may be only 4 locations in So Cal, but Hughes faithful still go there, and the store in San Marino, a former Ralphs, still has friendly service and great products.
Skimolopez

Post by Skimolopez »

That's great to know...I wish I had known that, I was just out visiting my parents in San Gabriel a couple of weeks ago, I would I have definitely checked it out. Thanks for the update!
Skimolopez

Post by Skimolopez »

Hey Jeff...I was just reading your response to another topic regarding Market Basket stores in Southern California and you mentioned the Market Basket in Monterey Park. I remember that store too, it was across the street from Atlantic Square. I worked at the Hughes Market on Atlantic Blvd in Monterey Park, wow small world!
marshd1000
Veteran

Hughes/QFC/Fred Meyer/Ralphs/Kroger

Post by marshd1000 »

Technically, Hughes Family Markets wasn't bought out by Ralphs. Hughes ceased being independent when Seattle based QFC bought them as the first step to becoming a national retailer. Their strategy was to buy out or merge with similar upscale grocers across the country, but keep the grocer's original name. Hughes ended up being asorbed into Ralphs' operations as a result of a 3 way merger/buyout between QFC, Fred Meyer and Ralphs. At that point, it was decided to fold Hughes into Ralphs. About a year later Kroger acquired Fred Meyer which included all the above mentioned stores.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

If you pay close attention to the Johnsonville Brats commercial (the one where a woman is giving out free samples and a guy steals her griddle so that he doesn't have to stand in line again), it was shot inside a HOWS Market. There is another commercial that I've seen recently (though I can't remember which one) which was also shot there. You can tell by the decor of the store. I've only been to my local one, in Granada Hills (a former Alpha Beta) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't shot there.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The RALPHS in La Habra CA that had been a former HUGHES Market recently closed. When the RALPHS sign was removed...the old HUGHES writing could still be seen! Former HUGHES sites in San Bernarndino, Rialto and Victorville are all still RALPHS.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Dean wrote:The RALPHS in La Habra CA that had been a former HUGHES Market recently closed. When the RALPHS sign was removed...the old HUGHES writing could still be seen! Former HUGHES sites in San Bernarndino, Rialto and Victorville are all still RALPHS.
The Apple Valley store is a Ralphs. The Victorville store was vacant for years, then became an indoor swap meet.

Always went to Hughes for the fried chicken and those little coconut marshmallows (they always had a large Jewish foods area arond Yom Kippur, Hanukkah, etc) that I can't seem to find anymore. I don't get the connection between Israel and coconuts.

One day when I was shopping at a Hughes, the power went out and the sliding doors were shut. A few people just stood around as I went up and pried the doors apart with my hands!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

javelin wrote:
Dean wrote:The RALPHS in La Habra CA that had been a former HUGHES Market recently closed. When the RALPHS sign was removed...the old HUGHES writing could still be seen! Former HUGHES sites in San Bernarndino, Rialto and Victorville are all still RALPHS.
The Apple Valley store is a Ralphs. The Victorville store was vacant for years, then became an indoor swap meet.

Always went to Hughes for the fried chicken and those little coconut marshmallows (they always had a large Jewish foods area arond Yom Kippur, Hanukkah, etc) that I can't seem to find anymore. I don't get the connection between Israel and coconuts.

One day when I was shopping at a Hughes, the power went out and the sliding doors were shut. A few people just stood around as I went up and pried the doors apart with my hands!
Oops! I meant the Apple Valley store...the one on 18, with LONGS. thanks for the clarification! Where was the Victorville HUGHES? thanks!
valleyankee

Post by valleyankee »

I use to shop at the Huges Market on Ventura Blvd in studio City. I loved that place. I still have a box of plastic cling wrap from them!
OCRedCub
Contributor

Hughes La Habra

Post by OCRedCub »

Hughes Market on Whittier Blvd in La Habra was a relatively upscale store. Probably because it was the market closest to the wealthy areas of La Habra Heights When it became Ralphs, they closed the middle aisle that ran the enitre width of the store (making shoppers feel isolated and lonely) and dropped many of the gourmet items that made a trip to Hughes interesting.
Ralphs was constantly adjusting the store layout until the store closed, leaving odd unfinished scars on the floors. It seemed like no one returned to this location after the grocery strike. Their produce and meat departments were always full of expiring markdowns, and many of their in-store signs were handmade in the final months.
Hughes was the first 24 hour store in the area.
I remember seeing ads for Hughes/El Rancho Markets, but ours was just plain Hughes. Never did see the El Rancho locations.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

[quote="Dean]Oops! I meant the Apple Valley store...the one on 18, with LONGS. thanks for the clarification! Where was the Victorville HUGHES? thanks![/quote]

On Bear valley Rd. a couple of blocks away from the freeway, now an indoor swap meet.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

javelin wrote:[quote="Dean]Oops! I meant the Apple Valley store...the one on 18, with LONGS. thanks for the clarification! Where was the Victorville HUGHES? thanks!
On Bear valley Rd. a couple of blocks away from the freeway, now an indoor swap meet.[/quote]

Oh yes, thanks. Do remember that HUGHES.

For quite some time after the demise of HUGHES...the 99 Cent Only Store had a number of HUGHES branded items. Namely, kitchen sponges & paper lunch sacks!
GaryED44
Contributor

Re: Hughes La Habra

Post by GaryED44 »

OCRedCub wrote:Hughes Market on Whittier Blvd in La Habra was a relatively upscale store. Probably because it was the market closest to the wealthy areas of La Habra Heights When it became Ralphs, they closed the middle aisle that ran the enitre width of the store (making shoppers feel isolated and lonely) and dropped many of the gourmet items that made a trip to Hughes interesting.
Ralphs was constantly adjusting the store layout until the store closed, leaving odd unfinished scars on the floors. It seemed like no one returned to this location after the grocery strike. Their produce and meat departments were always full of expiring markdowns, and many of their in-store signs were handmade in the final months.
Hughes was the first 24 hour store in the area.
I remember seeing ads for Hughes/El Rancho Markets, but ours was just plain Hughes. Never did see the El Rancho locations.

I used to go to that Hughes very often and later when it became a Ralph’s and I can tell you I liked it much better as a Hughes. Under Ralph’s it always looked run down and scattered not to mention the employees always seemed rude and uninterested in helping anyone

Gary
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

I used to go to the Hughes in what was once referred to as Glendale, on 3075 N San Fernando Rd. It was a small store and was close to the distribution center by the 2 Freeway. This was in the early 70's and across the street from the market was a Van de Kamp restaurant. The market is now a Shims Bargain Center, the restuarant became a Denny's. The Van de Kamp Bakery was right behind the restaurant and part of the building is still there. The distribution center was demolished and the area re developed.