The Pantry - Southern CA

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

OCRedCub
Contributor

The Pantry - Southern CA

Post by OCRedCub »

I only remember the one in the Sunny Hills area of Fullerton (NW corner of Harbor and Bastanchury, now a Longs Drugs). It seemed slightly upscale. But I remember full page ads in the paper, so they must have had more locations.
Any others? Anyone else remember this one?
klkla
Veteran

Re: The Pantry - Southern CA

Post by klkla »

OCRedCub wrote:I only remember the one in the Sunny Hills area of Fullerton (NW corner of Harbor and Bastanchury, now a Longs Drugs). It seemed slightly upscale. But I remember full page ads in the paper, so they must have had more locations.
Any others? Anyone else remember this one?
They had 10 or 11 stores at the time they left the market. I remember a small store in Pasadena that is now a Pavilions and one in Arcadia, too. They were owned by Cullum Companies in Dallas (that also owned Tom Thumb stores, which are now owned by Safeway). I think Vons bought most of them.
wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

pantry supermarket in Santa Ana, Calif.

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

the only Pantry Supermarket that I can remember was located on North Bristol St. (don't remember the cross street) in Santa Ana, Calif. and I think that it was a mile or so north of the Honer Plaza Shopping Center and I remember this store sometime in the 1960's.
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

sounds like Bristol/Memory Lane (northeast corner). The market there was a Vons for a while, then a Latino market, and now a Rite Aid.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There used to be one in Hacienda Heights (turned into a Vons, then closed. Today a 99 Ranch Market)
Arcadia (on Golden West Street and Duarte Rd - today a Chinese Supermarket)

Those were the only two I can think of.
J-Man
Veteran

Pantry

Post by J-Man »

There was one located on the NW corner of Huntington and Mt. Olive in Duarte. It was owned by Vons (along with Williams Bros., Pavilions, and Tianguis), at least when I arrived in the area in 1987. the site was later divided, and one side was home to a Farrs Hallmark/Stationers, which also closed. It's now a local mom-and-pop junior market and some offices.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

I remember a Pantry on South Glendale Avenue in Glendale. Prior to being a Pantry, it was a Cracker Barrell Market. Pantry took over this location in the late 60's.
john

Pantry Costa Mesa

Post by john »

There was a Pantry at the corner of Baker and Fairview in Costa Mesa through the 1970s. The building now houses the Hoag Hospital walk in clinics. The center still has several of the original tenants, including barber, cleaners, beauty shop, French's Bakery and until very recently a stationer's. A Stater Bros moved in right across the street in the 1960s and helped to kill that location because they were cheaper.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:There used to be one in Hacienda Heights (turned into a Vons, then closed. Today a 99 Ranch Market)
Arcadia (on Golden West Street and Duarte Rd - today a Chinese Supermarket)

Those were the only two I can think of.
The Hacienda Heights site was built as a VONS. It converted to The Pantry when VONS acquired The Pantry. I believe it converted BACK to a VONS before it became a 99 Ranch Market. By the way...have you been in the 99 Ranch Market? The live lobsters are a hoot! At times...they get out of the tank...and traverse the floor!
circlekkid
Contributor

Post by circlekkid »

the pantry in s.h. fullerton used to be at valencia mesa dr. and sunny crest dr. it is now st. jude cancer center.look at the whole center and you can tell it used to be a market.oh and by the way the pantry was here first and then relocated to harbor and bastanchury when st. jude bought the property.
Last edited by circlekkid on 11 Sep 2008 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

Good Topic. there was a pantry store in the city of Tustin. On Newport ave & walnut. I lived very close to it, and I'm not sure whats there now.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

circlekkid wrote:the pantry in s.h. fullerton used to be at valencia mesa dr. and sunny crest dr. it is now st. jude cancer center.look at the whole center and you can tell it used to be a market.oh and by the way the pantry was here first and then relocated to harbor and bastanchury when st. jude bought the property.
Is this still used by St. Jude's?

Quickly drove by, and couldn't tell exactly...yet, looks like construction was going on @ the site.
Jon Jax 71

Post by Jon Jax 71 »

The Pantry Supermarkets were based out of Pasadena, their HQ was on W Del Mar Blvd and most of their stores were in the San Gabriel Valley. They were our family, neighbors and friends favorite market in the 60s and 70s til the small chain sold out to a larger corporation and down the tubes went the name. they always had an above average meat and produce dept although their stores were not as large as the other chains e.g Alph Beta, Lucky's, Market Basket, Von's etc
somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

Jon Jax 71 wrote: 31 Jan 2013 14:20 The Pantry Supermarkets were based out of Pasadena, their HQ was on W Del Mar Blvd and most of their stores were in the San Gabriel Valley. They were our family, neighbors and friends favorite market in the 60s and 70s til the small chain sold out to a larger corporation and down the tubes went the name. they always had an above average meat and produce dept although their stores were not as large as the other chains e.g Alph Beta, Lucky's, Market Basket, Von's etc
Wasn't the HQ at Del Mar and Raymond? There was also a store in South Pasadena on Fair Oaks. It was a bit south from where the Pavilions is currently.