Safeway Interiors: South SF and San Bruno

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storeliker
Contributor

Safeway Interiors: South SF and San Bruno

Post by storeliker »

According to a San Francisco Chronicle Article the other day profits are up and many new stores up for remodel with 28 done already.
Shocked to see interior of San Bruno Safeway on El Camino Real. Safeway is unlike any other I have been in since it had alot of hand painted signs and very bare interior with wall decor just painted on.Also was some weird lattice stuff on the wall and seventies paneling back. I asked if it was going to be remodeled and they said they didn't know. I asked why it was different then others with only aisle markers the old pre lifestyle way and they said store was old and pointed to Serving since 1927. (Even though was a seventies strip mall) I am not sure if this is South San Francisco or San Bruno. The Longs at the other end was also alot bigger in square footage then the Safeway. Does anyone know history of this strip mall and store?
A few blocks north is a South San Francisco Safeway that says serving since 1932. It had the interior with pictures and white lettering on walls which is different then most others I have been. It had deli while other one didn't. It was in alot better shape then store south of there and also had the round circle in sign where last S is.
If anyone has any info on this area thanks for the imput.
me
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Actually, I think this was discussed earlier, either here or on the old board. This shopping center was originally a large White Front store, which encompassed the Longs, the former Service Merchandise, etc., and the Safeway was a Brentwood Market which had relocated from its original location across the street. Safeway bought Brentwood in the mid-1980s; that's also how they picked up Pak-n-Save...

The shopping center on 16th between Bryant and Potrero in San Francisco was a White Front of similar vintage, although it was attached to a two-level parking deck. There is a Safeway in this center as well, which relocated in 1995 from a smaller store in the same center. I have a suspsicion this Safeway may have started out as a Brentwood as well, but I've never been able to confirm it...
storeliker
Contributor

Safeway store interiors

Post by storeliker »

Thanks for info. Just thought it was very strange to see other Safeway down the street which I'm presuming is older because of the round S sign where the new S is in such good condition but the one south has such bare walls with sections hand painted on walls. Also the paneling in back of store and private box for manager off to side. I am assuming since only aisle markers seemed to have Safeway feel the walls and lattice work things on the walls and paneling in back of the store are all hold overs of the Brentwood Market since it didn't really feel like a Safeway in there. Would that be safe to say? The manager who was doing register said Safeway had came in to look at the store but didn't know if there would be a remodel.
me
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I'm not sure if I've talked about those SSF stores in particular in the thread here...

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=608

But a quick rundown (some of which can be seen through the pictures on my page):

- the ex-White Front store is in SSF; it was former Brentwood before Brentwood was acquired in 1983 (the center across the street is where I think the very first location of Brentwood was, that's now a Smart and Final)

- The Chestnut store dates back to the 1970s I'm pretty sure, but has 1980s decor

- The ex-White Front store was supposed to have been expanded into the old Service Merchandise space a few years ago, but instead Bally Total Fitness took the site
Chris Sampang