Department Store Gas Stations

Moderator: Groceteria

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Department Store Gas Stations

Post by Edric Floyd »

I know Sears and JC Penney had gas stations at their Auto centers at least into the late 1970's. (At least the ones where I grew up did) My mother used to buy her gas at Sears every time we went to the mall. They offered full service.

And many older locations (auto centers) still have remnants of the old gas stations that were a part of the store.

Who else also had gas stations?

Montgomery Ward?

Rich's (Atlanta)?
Last edited by Edric Floyd on 26 Aug 2006 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Shell City stores (Florida)

Fredrick's Supermarkets (Florida)

:)

Also Treasury department stores (Florida)
The Food Fair Empire
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Wal-Mart did experiment with company-owned gas stations in the 70's. They were similar to what they have now with Mirastar and Murphy USA, but company owned. In their 1979 Annual Report, the company stated that "Gas stations are an increasingly familiar sight at Wal-Mart stores". I also remember Gibson's Discount Stores flirting with gas at some locations, although since Gibson's was a franchised operation in many locations, those stores may not have been company owned.
Scott Greer
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Zayre had its own branded gas stations at one point.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Gemco used to have Gas Stations around here.

on a side note, The Broadway chain here had auto centers.
J-Man
Veteran

Gemco

Post by J-Man »

I'll second the comment about Gemco. In the mid-70s I lived a few blocks from the Gemco on Madison near I-80 in Sacramento and bought nearly all of my gas at that store. I remember using my Gemco credit card pretty much exclusively as a gas credit card.

I don't think the Treasury stores in northern California ever sold gasoline. However, I believe Fedco stores in southern California had stations for some time under their own name, then later branded with the ARCO name.

These days I buy the majority of my gas at Costco.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Fedco did have gas stations at a couple of thier locations. The ones I remember are Pasadena (caddy-corner to the store), and Ontario (in the lot).
La Cinega, San Bernardino I dont recall having gas stations.

I do know the Buena Park Fedco didn't have one, since it was built in an old May Company store.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Come to think of it, I believe my local Memco (east coast name for Gemco) had a branded gas station as well.
J-Man
Veteran

Memco

Post by J-Man »

When I moved to Northern Va. in 1978, I don't think my local Memco (Braddock and Little River Tpk.) had a gas station. That store later became a Bradlee's, then a Hechinger. I don't know what it is these days.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Groceteria wrote:Come to think of it, I believe my local Memco (east coast name for Gemco) had a branded gas station as well.
The two Memcos in Richmond had gas stations that had already been there when the locations were Carousel stores. The Broad Street Road location may have even had gas when it was a Two Guys, but I'm not sure.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:Fedco did have gas stations at a couple of thier locations. The ones I remember are Pasadena (caddy-corner to the store), and Ontario (in the lot).
La Cinega, San Bernardino I dont recall having gas stations.
The store on La Cienega had (and still has, though the store is a Target now) an Arco on the corner of La Cienega and Rodeo, so that may have been a Fedco gas station.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Arlans Discount Department Stores around Oklahoma had gas stations in their parking lots in the late 1960's. When Target bought all of their Oklahoma locations in 1972 or so, there were operated as Target Gas for a while. On a side note, all the Arlans had Arlans Supermarket next to the department store.....with an entrance from the store interior and also an exterior entrance. Target continued with Target Supermarket (a leased department?) for a few years after that.
tobyradloff2

Value City, Uncle Bill's, Clarkins sold gasoline

Post by tobyradloff2 »

In NE OH, Value City, Uncle Bill's, and Clarkins had gasoline stations on their premises...Value City sold gasoline at their Granger Road and Miles Avenue stores under the "Value Gas" name...Value City closed their gas stations around 1974, when the first energy crisis hit. Uncle Bill's (and possibly other Cook United discount stores) also sold gasoline at certain locations...Cook closed those gas stations in the early 1980's, a few years before the entire company went out of business. Clarkins sold Texaco gasoline at a few locations (including their Bedford and Cleveland-Brookpark Road) stores...they even offered discounts on gasoline with store purchases. Those closed in the mid-1970's, a couple of years before Clarkins went out of business-at the same time Texaco closed all of their Ohio locations.
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

Gemco's gas station in Rowland Heights CA is now Mobil and has been for at least the last 10 years. Fedco Ontario is currently Arco (since the mid 1990's).

socalgrocer
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I found at least one Belk that had a "Belko" gas station: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7242 ... lo-res.jpg

(picture from livemalls.blogspot.com)