Treasury Department Stores

Moderator: Groceteria

javelin
Veteran

Treasury Department Stores

Post by javelin »

Anyone remember this disocunt store? My family used to drive from L.A. to the one in Buena Park. One day we went, the store was all boarded up. The last one was going out of business in Riverside I believe, and I remember that they were just about empty except for the few shelves in front. I couldn't have been more than 5 years old at the time.

Aside from that they were owned by JC Penney, I haven't found anything else about the store...I read somewhere they sold groceries but I don't remember anything like that. The Buena Park store was converted to a raquetball club for years until that went under, then it was demolished for a new Target.
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

There was a Treasury dept store in Granada Hills. Great store similar to Target but I remember it being very dark inside the store. The particular location I mentioned became a headquarters for Coast Savings. I have not been to this area in about 10 years so I am unsure what the status of this location is now.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There used to be a Treasury in Montclair on Central. It is now an empty store front. For a while, it was an indoor swapmeet.
J-Man
Veteran

Pleasant Hill, CA

Post by J-Man »

There was a Treasury store on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill, just north of Sun Valley Mall, on the west side of the street. It was originally a White Front, and is now a Target.

I also remember several in the San Jose area when I lived there in the mid-70s, but I can't remember any specific locations.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Jeff wrote:There used to be a Treasury in Montclair on Central. It is now an empty store front. For a while, it was an indoor swapmeet.
Where on Central was it? I used to work in Montclair. Was it north or south of the 10 freeway?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

mgrmk wrote:There was a Treasury dept store in Granada Hills.
Where in Granada Hills? Give me the intersection and I can easily give you the status!
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

The Treasury store in Granada Hills was on the south west corner of Zelzah and Chatsworth.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Montclair south of the 10.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

mgrmk wrote:The Treasury store in Granada Hills was on the south west corner of Zelzah and Chatsworth.
There's now a relatively new shopping center (<10 years old) with a Ralphs, Longs, Michael's, Office Max, and OSH among other smaller tenants and a handful of fast food places. There's a small Washington Mutual branch on the corner and based on the shape of the sign it's a former Coast Federal branch.

The odd thing with this corner is that there's another Ralphs directly across the street. It's a former Hughes and for whatever reason it wasn't sold to another chain or closed. It's the less busy of the two stores but also not as nice since the interior hasn't been touched since the Hughes merger.
romleys
Veteran

The Treasury (Hey J-Man read this)

Post by romleys »

Hey J-Man can you email me so we can talk about the Pleasant Hill area. I would love to hear about the retail history in that area. I can be reached if you contact me from my website "PURE GROCERY STORES".
Charles H:)
al523

Bay area Treasury locations

Post by al523 »

J-Man is right, there was a Treasury location in Pleasant Hill. Another was at 150 El Camino Real in Sunnyvale (I worked there on the grocery side in the mid 70's). Another on the east side of Almaden Expressway just south of Branham in San Jose. The other bay area locations were in South San Francisco and San Leandro.
Last edited by al523 on 01 Aug 2006 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Post by TheQuestioner »

Where in San Leandro was the Treasury store? It wouldn't surprise me if it's still in use for retail. There are a lot of stores around there that were once other chains. The Target by the San Leandro/San Lorenzo border was once Genco from what I understand, and the Levitz Furniture whose big sign is visible from I-880 was once some kind of grocery chain.
Badgerinmaine

Post by Badgerinmaine »

I vividly recall the Treasure Island store (which I think was later called Treasury) in Madison, Wisconsin on the Beltline. I remember that it was JC Penney's effort to have a discount chain. Their big gimmick was that they had a "squiggly roof" and called themself "the home of the squiggly roof". Loved that store! It went under around 1980 in Madison, and I think it was because the whole chain was going down. I have not been home for a while, but that site is now either a Steinhafels Furniture or the State Lottery HQ.
john

Treasury South Coast Plaza

Post by john »

There was a Treasury in the Callens Commons Center just to the north of South Coast Plaza at Sunflower and Bristol. That store did not last too long, and the whole center has been a poor performer for years. We always referred to that center as the Treasury center, even though that store was defunct back in the 70s. The building shell was re-purposed to house several second tier big box retailers including Sportmart. During the remodel of sportmart this summer, they tore off the facade and uncovered the original crenulated roof which was kind of a signature for Treasury stores.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Treasury Department Stores

Post by Dean »

javelin wrote:Anyone remember this disocunt store? My family used to drive from L.A. to the one in Buena Park. One day we went, the store was all boarded up. The last one was going out of business in Riverside I believe, and I remember that they were just about empty except for the few shelves in front. I couldn't have been more than 5 years old at the time.

Aside from that they were owned by JC Penney, I haven't found anything else about the store...I read somewhere they sold groceries but I don't remember anything like that. The Buena Park store was converted to a raquetball club for years until that went under, then it was demolished for a new Target.
I believe it was K-Mart-type store owned by JCP. I remember that Buena Park location as well.