NEW: Kansas City MO, 1925-1992

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: NEW: Kansas City MO, 1925-1992

Post by Groceteria »

Big update this weekend now includes Independence and Kansas City, Kansas. I hope to add other suburbs in the future, specifically Raytown and Shawnee Mission/Overland Park.

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-mis ... nsas-city/
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: NEW: Kansas City MO, 1925-1992 (UPDATE)

Post by Groceteria »

Lots of updates to this section, including the addition of several suburban areas. Also most listings are now updated from the early 1990s to the present:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-mis ... nsas-city/

A few more small odds and ends will be added next year when I can get the data I need.
jleyerle
Contributor

Post by jleyerle »

Good extension of this spreadsheet. By way of background, I lived in Overland Park twice: as a kid from 1964-1967 at 100th/Antioch, then as a young adult from 1989-1992 on 87th/Farley (west of Antioch)

A couple of edits; the location on the SW corner of 95th/Antioch was Cherokee United Supers from the building of that strip in about 1962 forward...it converted to Cherokee SunFresh sometime in the mid 80s I'd think. Was a classic edge-of-civilization 1960s supermarket-focused strip center--the anchor was the Cherokee US, also in the center was a TG&Y variety store and a drug store (likely independently owned...certainly wasn't anything as elaborate as Katz). Also a tire store. On the other side of Antioch (where the Hy-Vee is now) I am not sure that there was a Kroger ever there (I was very young when we lived near that intersection in the mid 60s and distinctly remember both the A&P and the United Supers, but unsure of a Kroger. I defer though to your research. At 119/Metcalf, the Super Food Barn was definitely open in 1988, but was "edge of civilization" at that time. Looks like you also missed the Schnucks which was open at 91/Metcalf on the grounds of the old Glenwood Theatre. This opened in roughly 1989 and closed about 10 years later.

I believe there was a supermarket at one point at the West Park Shopping Center at 87th/Farley. It was no longer a supermarket when I was there in 1989, but the space was very indicative of a supermarket.

Finally, you did not show the French Market, which was at the NE corner of 95th/Metcalf. This was a verrrrrrrry early hypermarket. https://www.ophistorical.org/french-market.html
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

8650 W 63rd St for Kroger is tricky. Google Maps points to Overland Park and does not show any supermarket-type building at that intersection. Historic Aerials points towards the intersection of 63rd and Antioch to the west.