Food Emporium?

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

Food Emporium?

Post by retail_person_247 »

I found this Flickr post about a former Food Emporium store in Connecticut and the photo description that A&P opened Food Emporium stores in Canada?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115637162 ... 160277140/

I tried doing research but I couldn't find anything other than the Wikipedia page for The Food Emporium which says the "The Food Emporium" brand name was used *inside* of their Dominion stores (which is even more confusing) it also says the Canadian format was "garnished" sometime in the 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Emporium

So did The Food Emporium ever have any actual stores in Canada?

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past A&P simply because they brought the Super Fresh brand to Canada as well.
Retail_247
mcbill2471
Contributor

Re: Food Emporium?

Post by mcbill2471 »

Yes they did renovate and take upscale a few Dominion Stores as The Food Emporium. As I recall there was still some Dominion branding - I recall the D logo specifically - on the stores.

I know of two locations that were converted - one in Mississauga at the Sheridan Mall (eventually a Metro) and one at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto - I visited both locations shortly after they converted out of curiosity.
retail_person_247
Contributor

Post by retail_person_247 »

mcbill2471 wrote: 12 Jul 2022 20:04 Yes they did renovate and take upscale a few Dominion Stores as The Food Emporium. As I recall there was still some Dominion branding - I recall the D logo specifically - on the stores.

I know of two locations that were converted - one in Mississauga at the Sheridan Mall (eventually a Metro) and one at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto - I visited both locations shortly after they converted out of curiosity.
So Food Emporium Canada was co-branded with Dominion, similar to how the Kohls Food stores in Wisconsin were branded as "Kohl's Food Emporium"?
Retail_247
mcbill2471
Contributor

Post by mcbill2471 »

That’s right.