Hughes Market in Southern California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:Hughes is still alive, technically.

http://www.howsmarkets.com/

As soon as they were sold to Ralphs, the Hughes family bought a couple Ralphs stores and converted them to Hows Markets.

They kept the same blue and white interior colors, and stocked the same merch, and fresh meats.

There may be only 4 locations in So Cal, but Hughes faithful still go there, and the store in San Marino, a former Ralphs, still has friendly service and great products.
Just noticed an ad recently...and also their site. The chain is listed as HOWS Hughes Family Grocers. Has the tag line been on there since HOWS began?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:Just noticed an ad recently...and also their site. The chain is listed as HOWS Hughes Family Grocers. Has the tag line been on there since HOWS began?
It's been that way since they started.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

(I originally posted this as a separate thread, which I've deleted and posted here instead.)

I found this detailed history of Hughes Markets that I thought people might find interesting. It was written after they were bought by QFC and before QFC was bought by Kroger.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... story.html
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

runchadrun wrote:(I originally posted this as a separate thread, which I've deleted and posted here instead.)

I found this detailed history of Hughes Markets that I thought people might find interesting. It was written after they were bought by QFC and before QFC was bought by Kroger.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... story.html
Very interesting...thanks!

THRIFTMART was mentioned...as HUGHES had began with franchising sites. Is this chain different from THRIFTIMART? (an I in there!)

HUGHES branded products were in the 99 Cent Only Stores for quite some time after the demise of the chain.

The former Irwindale DC mentioned in article is now home to an import/export business for independent stores, as their DC.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Hughes Market in Southern California

Post by Dean »

With rainy weather over the weekend...the newspapers were delivered in plastic bags.

Obviously, the LA TIMES needs to update their listings on the bag!!

PLEASE RECYCLE THIS BAG
DROP IN PLASTIC BAG COLLECTION BINS AT AREA RALPHS, GELSONS, HUGHES, LUCKY AND VONS FOOD STORES.
Clumsygenes
Contributor

Post by Clumsygenes »

There was a Hughes Market down on Whittier Blvd in La Habra. I wish it was still there.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Clumsygenes wrote:There was a Hughes Market down on Whittier Blvd in La Habra. I wish it was still there.
This store had become Ralphs and now is empty still. Its been this way for maybe 5 years.
somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Re: Hughes La Habra

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

greebs wrote: 31 Jan 2007 00:52
Jeff wrote:
runchadrun wrote: Hughes bought El Rancho in 1979. The El Rancho locations were in Arcadia, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Irvine, Laguna Hills, and an area of Newport Beach called Eastbluff. All of the stores except South Pas (Big Lots), Laguna Hills (Big Lots) Newport Beach (empty lot?) are Ralphs today. If there's any interest in the actual locations I can post them in the commercial archaeology board.
The Arcadia location was torn down and rebuilt in the same spot with a bigger store around the time Robinsons and May Co merged (1992), since they took over some of the old parking for the Arcadia May Co (oddly enough, Vons headquarters today......there is a Ralphs in Von's parking lot!!!)
The Arcadia location was actually expanded and remodeled in 2003 from the original store. It was never torn down. Vons moved in before the May Co/Robinsons merger.
The original store was torn down. The replacement store was added on to.

https://arcadiahistory.andornot.com/en/ ... aper765&q=