Former Albertsons in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Carbon87

Former Albertsons in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Post by Carbon87 »

Spirit Halloween is currently occupying a former Albertsons (Store 863), previously located at 3745 E. Lincoln Way, in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Took a couple shots in the building as it’s exceptionally clear there has been no work done to the building since it closed sometime around 1999. (Smith’s and Econofoods took quick stabs after Albertsons left but never did any work on the building as far as I can tell). The original tile still exists, the old elevated management office in the back still exists, and the cameras that were over the checkouts pointing downwards still even exist. Quite the time warp.
Attachments
FF8D1BCB-ED2A-49C7-9039-C7CE167A31A9.jpeg
87A59424-D6D3-4FB6-83F3-3827CF511DCF.jpeg
356A5BA0-1F0E-44C8-AD4B-94325148ED59.jpeg
Last edited by Carbon87 on 06 Sep 2022 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon87

Re: Former Albertsons in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Post by Carbon87 »

Few more shots.
Attachments
6D700AA9-239C-4657-8704-FAD904AC39DF.jpeg
C4898BF0-B5DB-4842-8AB9-98BCF2294067.jpeg
F6055B46-5B98-4D48-868F-2C927F07B0D1.jpeg
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Some things throw me with this store. While the former Albertsons/Smiths/Nash Finch Econofoods was definitely in this shopping center, the floor does not look like an Albertsons floor. The walls also do not look like Albertsons walls. The other weird thing is the entryway, it has sliding doors. Albertsons of that era never had sliding doors. Spirit is coming at 3741 E. Lincolnway so I am thinking this was something else. Smiths and Econofoods were at 3745 E. Lincolnway. I can't tell what. Maybe it was Osco? If it was this store didn't make it to Rite Aid (a store in Laramie was the only WY Store that made it to Rite Aid). I see it has a single truck loading dock.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: 17 Sep 2022 02:38 Some things throw me with this store. While the former Albertsons/Smiths/Nash Finch Econofoods was definitely in this shopping center, the floor does not look like an Albertsons floor. The walls also do not look like Albertsons walls. The other weird thing is the entryway, it has sliding doors. Albertsons of that era never had sliding doors. Spirit is coming at 3741 E. Lincolnway so I am thinking this was something else. Smiths and Econofoods were at 3745 E. Lincolnway. I can't tell what. Maybe it was Osco? If it was this store didn't make it to Rite Aid (a store in Laramie was the only WY Store that made it to Rite Aid). I see it has a single truck loading dock.
Another detail I noticed is that it looks like the store used to have recessed strip lights, as there are rows of narrower ceiling grid. Albertsons did not build many (if any) stores with that type of lighting, but I do know that some stores acquired from Buttrey had that type of lighting, as well as some Osco stores. But as I recall, Osco stores in Wyoming were usually combined with Buttrey, and dropped the name around the same time that Osco took over the Skaggs chain. In the 1980s Albertsons often went to basic strip lighting in all areas of the store during remodels. But the road sign looks very typical of a lot of 1970s-1980s Albertsons stores.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

storewanderer wrote: 17 Sep 2022 02:38Spirit is coming at 3741 E. Lincolnway so I am thinking this was something else. Smiths and Econofoods were at 3745 E. Lincolnway. I can't tell what.
Looking at it on Google Maps/Street View, I agree. Spirit looks to be the wrong shape (deep and narrow) for an Albertsons of that period, And as @storewanderer says, the address was 3745 for Albertsons. That address corresponds to the store that’s to the left of Spirit, which seems like a better “fit.“ But I’ve never been there in person. And unfortunately I don’t have access to digitized Cheyenne newspapers so I can’t look for old ads to confirm.
Carbon87

Post by Carbon87 »

storewanderer wrote: 17 Sep 2022 02:38 Some things throw me with this store. While the former Albertsons/Smiths/Nash Finch Econofoods was definitely in this shopping center, the floor does not look like an Albertsons floor. The walls also do not look like Albertsons walls. The other weird thing is the entryway, it has sliding doors. Albertsons of that era never had sliding doors. Spirit is coming at 3741 E. Lincolnway so I am thinking this was something else. Smiths and Econofoods were at 3745 E. Lincolnway. I can't tell what. Maybe it was Osco? If it was this store didn't make it to Rite Aid (a store in Laramie was the only WY Store that made it to Rite Aid). I see it has a single truck loading dock.
The sliding doors are semi-recent. They used to be the old single doors with the black rubber pads on the ground that activated them.

The interior of this location is almost exactly the same as the Albertsons that used to be on N 4th St in Laramie.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Did more research on this site.

3741 was a Big Lots that closed at some point in the past 5 years, prior to being Spirit.

But that floor, I've never seen that floor in a Big Lots.

Looking back at historical photos on Google Maps, the Albertsons was absolutely the current Sportsmen's Warehouse. I can tell this from the door configuration and front windows of the previous tenants Z's Home Furnishings and Western Auction (who had the Sport space in 2011). Textbook Albertsons. Google street view from 2011 of that address.

Still can't find good evidence on this building but if it was an Osco then Payless, it did not make it to Rite Aid. That entryway style I have seen on Osco Stores. I've never seen it on an Albertsons.

The N 5th building in Laramie started as Ideal Foods and was not built by Albertsons.
https://www.wyomingnews.com/laramieboom ... b05ca.html
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/