Farmer Jack outside of Michigan & Ohio??

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

Farmer Jack outside of Michigan & Ohio??

Post by retail_person_247 »

Several Websites claim that Farmer Jack, at one point (probably before the A&P acquisition) had stores in "Utah Nevada Wyoming Michigan Ohio South Carolina in West Virginia"

I can only find one FJ location in Utah.

So far, I found 6 stores in Idaho

I can't find any other store locations in any of the other mentioned states.

I looked at the Groceteria maps, with nothing about Farmer Jack to be found.

Did they ever even have any stores in states other than MI, OH, UT, & ID?
Retail_247
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Farmer Jack outside of Michigan & Ohio??

Post by Groceteria »

A&P converted two stores in the Raleigh NC market (Lead Mine Road in Raleigh and Harrison Avenue in Cary) to that banner very briefly in 1996 before pulling out of that market in 1997. I do not know the specific addresses as my Raleigh research only goes through 1995.

There was a converted A&P in Myrtle Beach SC operating as Farmer Jack in 2000.

There was a converted Super Fresh near Petersburg VA in 2000. There was also a store in Virginia Beach VA in 1995. There were likely stores in Richmond at some point as well.

There may have been other stores in the Southeast as well; they all seem to have been A&P conversions.

There were stores in Toledo OH and the Toledo suburbs for several years.

I cannot speak to any of the other areas.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Several Farmer Jack stores in Virginia in 2001 are noted here:

https://www.groceteria.com/store/nation ... ion-lists/

Also, I'm moving this thread to the "non-region-specific" forum.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Farmer Jack's was in Toledo twice: 1980s & 90s on Secor Road in a former Topps under the original Borman's management
which was an enormous store with service departments.

Then they had 4 stores built under A&P management in the early 2000s.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

In the mid-1980s, as part of the Salt Lake division, they took over several remaining Safeway locations in several towns surrounding Boise, including a store in Ontario, Oregon. (I think this was the only Oregon store which was not part of the Portland division) Safeway by that point had left Boise proper, but still had stores in Ontario, Nampa, Caldwell, and a few other towns. The Safeway in Mountain Home I don't think was ever re-signed as Farmer Jack, it was sold to Albertsons, which is still operating.

I don't think they ever opened any additional locations in the area, but I do remember they did run quite a few commercials on Boise TV stations when they took over.

I do remember visiting the Ontario store a few months after Farmer Jack took over, and they literally had Farmer Jack signs plastered all over the interior wherever it said Safeway, and the Safeway interior was untouched. Not sure these stores even got a repaint of any kind let alone a remodel. Farmer Jack was gone form the area after only a couple years.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The stores out West were bought by Borman (the original operator) in 1987 and only lasted a year. They sold to A&P after they sold those stores.
decorpackage

Post by decorpackage »

I know the person who made this list involving the stores that Borman had, along with the Farmer Jack stores that existed under A&P's ownership: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0