NEW: Tulsa OK, 1925-2021

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

rich
Veteran

Re: NEW: Tulsa OK, 1925-2021

Post by rich »

Ideal eventually came under the same ownership as Humpty Dumpty---Allied Supermarkets bought Humpty in 1959 and Ideal in 1960.
jleyerle
Contributor

Post by jleyerle »

Found an interesting YouTube video with old commercials...from around 1980 in Tulsa. Among the ads was a Safeway ad which had a superscript in the final scene likely indicating the extent of the Tulsa division: "NE Okla; Coffeyville, Independence and Parsons, KS; Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale and Siloam Springs, AR.

My great grandmother lived on Denver just north of downtown (she moved south to Jenks/Oral Roberts' senior center in 1970) and there was a Marina Safeway at roughly 300 N. Denver in which she shopped; I also remember a later location at roughly 61st and Lewis (late 70s Supercenter build) and I recall reading while I was an undergrad at Michigan State (getting a minor in Food Systems Economics and Management---I read Progressive Grocer every month) about what was likely the last Safeway build in Oklahoma in about 1983---a location in Broken Arrow with a very unusual diamond-shaped layout.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The locations on Denver and 61st are both in the list. Broken Arrow is not because I didn’t dive into the suburbs with this pass. Maybe someday. I’ll have to see if I can dig up that diamond-shaped location. It sounds really interesting.

555 N. Denver was a marina that’s still standing and there’s apparently an elections board office there now. 2235 E. 61st looks to be a marina that was expanded. The roof was obscured by a new facade, but you can see it from above. It’s now a hardware store.