Safeway/Sav-On 3rd & Fairfax

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

Safeway/Sav-On 3rd & Fairfax

Post by steps »

Came across this photo in a Facebook group showing a Safeway and Sav-On combo. I'm assuming this was a Super S prior to Sav-On taking over the drug portion.

Wasn't there a Safeway a street over or was that a Market Basket?

Either way, I found this photo interesting as it's very hard to come across many SoCal Safeway pictures.

From what I can assume, this is where the Wholefood and CVS are now. Are those store in the original building?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1574634869522.jpg
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Safeway/Sav-On 3rd & Fairfax

Post by Groceteria »

Great picture! Pretty sure you’re absolutely correct about the location with in the center. I had known about this one for some time based on its listing in a 1964 shopping center guide I have, which also states that the center opened on 15 December 1961 . I also would have guessed it as a Super S combo, but the store is listed as a Sav-on in 1964.
CAFBAE71-C24F-4310-B43A-0C5280B2D51D.jpeg
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I also have a very heartwarming memory of the uninsured motorist who backed into my rental car in the parking lot when I was photographing the store about nine years ago, but that’s a whole other story…
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote: 24 Nov 2019 18:46 Came across this photo in a Facebook group showing a Safeway and Sav-On combo. I'm assuming this was a Super S prior to Sav-On taking over the drug portion.

Wasn't there a Safeway a street over or was that a Market Basket?
There was indeed a Safeway in the location where Whole Foods is today. It closed in the early 1980's IIRC and has had a number of other grocery tenants besides Whole Foods (I'm pretty sure both Lucky and Ralphs have also occupied that building).

From Google maps it looks like they are two distinct buildings so I'm also doubtful it was a Super S but you never know.

There was a Market Basket across the street where Ross Dress for Less is now.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Yep, it was a Safeway for sure.

After that it was Luckys but I don't remember Ralphs there.
The Food Fair Empire
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Steve Landry wrote: 26 Nov 2019 11:02 After that it was Lucky but I don't remember Ralphs there.
I'm not 100% sure about this but if I remember right Ralphs had to choose between that store and the former Alpha Beta at Wilshire & Hauser (now a Ralphs Fresh Fare) as part of a consent decree with the FTC.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

I don't remember Ralphs being there but It could have been before my time. I know for sure though, it was an Albertson's so previously being a Lucky should be 100% correct.

Did this store close prior to the Vons buyout or was it a divested store?
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote: 26 Nov 2019 19:45
Steve Landry wrote: 26 Nov 2019 11:02 After that it was Lucky but I don't remember Ralphs there.
I'm not 100% sure about this but if I remember right Ralphs had to choose between that store and the former Alpha Beta at Wilshire & Hauser (now a Ralphs Fresh Fare) as part of a consent decree with the FTC.
If Ralphs had to choose, the think the Wilshire location was best. Even those the area the Wholefoods is at is affluent, the shopping center seems a little run down to me. I haven't been in the area for years so maybe it has been remodeled.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote: 22 Dec 2019 00:38 Did this store close prior to the Vons buyout or was it a divested store?
It was closed at least three years before the Vons buyout.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

I believe the space is currently Whole Foods Market + CVS Pharmacy. In the same shopping center, the small-sized Kmart closed late last year as part of parent Sears Holding's massive downsizing.

Back on May 28 2020, the Whole Foods was seen on national TV newscasts being trashed during the George Floyd Riots. A few days later, WFM parent Amazon was able to fully restock the store and local volunteers helped cleanup the store and repaint the graffiti on the exterior of both Whole Foods and CVS.

luckysaver
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

That was a "Big" Kmart format.

Awful store in every way possible.
The Food Fair Empire
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Steve Landry wrote: 07 Dec 2020 09:42 That was a "Big" Kmart format.

Awful store in every way possible.
I agree. It won't be missed.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I’ve never even lived in LA and I’ve still been to that Kmart and hated it...