mystery store, Greenwood, IN

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

robdude
Contributor

mystery store, Greenwood, IN

Post by robdude »

Drove past this the other day, there's a marina/Penn Fruit kinda looking place next to this K Mart building. Looks closed and the parking lot is sealed off from traffic now. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.604273, ... 328!8i1664
P.S. K Mart is now Rural King; this Street View is pretty old.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: mystery store, Greenwood, IN

Post by wnetmacman »

That store was a Marsh Supermarket at the time of the street view. I believe it was built by them.
Scott Greer
robdude
Contributor

Post by robdude »

Okay, thanks. Neat looking building. I haven't been to Indy more than a few times, and I've never been in a Marsh, though I hear some the Marketplace stores have a really weird layout and the O'Malia store on S. Meridian is supposedly an 80s-90s time capsule, according to a friend down there. I did see a couple Marshes further north...one on either E. 82 or E. 86, can't remember which, looks like a lot like a greenhouse Kroger with Marshed-up front glass. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a Kroger at one time, because there is a somewhat newer Kroger very close.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Most likely this was a Standard or Del Farm. National Tea (their parent) used this design in the 70s just as they were selling off most of their various operations. Most of the Indy stores became Preston Safeway, but Marsh bought their then-almost new distribution center and perhaps bought some of the stores. Standard had co-located with a number of KMarts in central Indiana.