A&P Wyckoff, NJ

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Rob Ascough
Contributor

A&P Wyckoff, NJ

Post by Rob Ascough »

At the Route 208/Cedar Hill Avenue interchange stands a shopping center currently anchored by a Walgreens (formerly a Drug Fair that was acquired along with others when the chain went under a few years back). The architecture suggests the store originally opened as an A&P. Anyone have any info?
maynesG
Veteran

Re: A&P Wyckoff, NJ

Post by maynesG »

Hi, It was a full blown and operrating A&P in the 70!s and the 80!s.It was built in the early 60!s
with most of the A&P!s in Nortern Bergen County with the shift in population. It probabily7 closed along the same time frame with New Milford( A former Food Fair)and Dumont (A former Finast). I can remember this beinga big time volume store in its time.
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

MaynesG - The original Wyckoff A&P was located on Clinton Ave., at the intersection of Wyckoff Ave. It closed in the first round of closings in the 70's. After the store was closed, A&P moved into the former Stop & Shop store on Greenwood ave., but this was NOT a replacement for the original store, as there was a gap of several years in between the 2 stores..

Cedar Hill Ave. & Rt. 208 was NOT an A&P. It was opened as a Grand Union, and closed in the late 70's/early 80's, and was converted to a Drug Fair. There were originally 2 Grand Unions in Wyckoff, the other was in what later became the Boulder Run shopping center, on Godwin Ave. , and that store later relocated to a new location in the same plaza, where the (Ahold) Stop N Shop now is. Again, the original Stop N Shop was closed many many years before the Ahold era...

The original Wyckoff store closed well before the other smaller nearby A&P's did, I know that it was before Oakland (Rt.202) and Wayne (Preakness shopping center).
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I remeber now thanks for correcting me. I remeber tyhe A&P in Oakland becoming a Foodtown owned by the Panzenhagen Family , they owned Ramsey the Old Acme. Cedar Lane Teaneck, Teaneack Road in Teaneck former Food Fair, The former A&P River Edge, The former Acmes in Montvale,Washington Township and the former Acme in Frankyn Lakes. I remeber the oriignal Stop & Shops in Nortern Jersey and New City NY. To be honest I* did not think that the Oakland store outlasted Wykoff but I guess it did.
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

There also was the North Haledon A&P, almost on the Franklin Lakes border... Closed about the same time as Wyckoff did, and is still a Foodtown. (This was not a Panzenhagen - Excelsior Panbro store though) Wayne/Preakness also became a Foodtown as well. The Franklin Lakes Acme became a Gristede's after Acme, then Kilroy's Wonder Market, and has been The Market Basket for at least the past 25 years that I can remember...lol

Interesting sidenote though, is the Washington Twp (Bergen County) Foodtown that became an A&P!

maynesG wrote:Hi, I remeber now thanks for correcting me. I remeber tyhe A&P in Oakland becoming a Foodtown owned by the Panzenhagen Family , they owned Ramsey the Old Acme. Cedar Lane Teaneck, Teaneack Road in Teaneck former Food Fair, The former A&P River Edge, The former Acmes in Montvale,Washington Township and the former Acme in Frankyn Lakes. I remeber the oriignal Stop & Shops in Nortern Jersey and New City NY. To be honest I* did not think that the Oakland store outlasted Wykoff but I guess it did.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I believe so. It waqs in a shopping Center next to a movie. I( understand that the entiore center has been ienlarged and gone upscale. Myu Dad managed after Finast with Panzenhagen on Cedar Lane and in Montvale. I was a Produce Manager with them for a time up in Ramsey. We both went back to Finast in Ny. Also I forgot the Finast on Madison Avenue in Dumont it replaced the Safeway tow blocks up the tracks from the Finast and was sold to Grand Union and is today a Stop & Shop. The Finast where I worked as a part time kid and my Dad managed it for many a year was sold to panenhagen after Marty Vitale went to Jail. Food town sold it to A&P along with the old Tappan Finast/Foodtown. A&P closed it and reopened it as a linited assortment format. Old Tappan was a giant Dud as a Finast, It was opened before the Safeway deal happened a Basement, like New Milfrod and New City. Finast thougth that the teservoir was going to be a housing development. Instead they has a small store to close to their units in Closter and Peartl River to be viable. When I was 18 I spent a Summer as and acting Assitant Manager inn this store. The manager went on vacation and I watched the store for a week as a glorified part time clerk with a set of keys and a not to amused Dad who at the time was the Store Manager in Closter.