Southampton Waldbaums/A & P.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

demolition
Contributor

Southampton Waldbaums/A & P.

Post by demolition »

Yes the Southampton Waldbaums/A & P was a centennial store but the inside has been modified countless times. It was opened in 1970 and had overhead monorail hanging meat scales before boxed beef in the early 80's. The office used to be were bakery is now and the deli used to be were dairy is now. The backroom was shrunk then enlarged again and the seafood department is almost brand new. The store also used to have only 9 aisles now it has 12. It is a hard store to work in on the sales floor and the backroom because everything is so tight.An Ice cream storage box was removed from the back room which seemed to be the trend in many stores in the early 80's. There is a new loading dock with a lift platform for Produce adjecent to the cemetery.But it is a high profit store making about 2 or 3 million a year and does about 1 million dollars in sales for the 4th of July week.I tried to see the ocean or bay from the roof of the store but I couldn't. The East hampton store may have been a centennial store but working in that store in the Summer could almost drive you insane. The Milk is delivered outside before anyone gets there so if it rains or snows your screwed.
paul3124
Contributor

Re: Southampton Waldbaums/A & P.

Post by paul3124 »

Does anyone have pictures of the Southampton, East Hampton, or westhampton beach stores?
robdude
Contributor

Re: Southampton Waldbaums/A & P.

Post by robdude »

Yes, South for sure and possibly East. I'd have to find them, though. I was in Southampton 12/09 right before winter came. I went in that store. Amazing what they can do with that small of a space. The outside bottle return machines were both broken. I'm pretty sure East was a centennial.

The Southampton K Mart is interesting, too. I got pictures of that, too. There's also a really old IGA, I think in Amagansett. I have pics of the road sign.