A&P to close 25 stores.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

RoleModel

Re: A&P to close 25 stores.

Post by RoleModel »

Ephrata1966 wrote:My question is, how does A&P survive at all anymore? I will have to infer that the unions keep them afloat, such as the deal that created the Super Fresh division.
Their supermarkets aren't all dogs in the NYC and LI areas, with Stop & Shop as its only real islandwide competition. (Shoprite is relatively rare on LI - though expanding, and King Kullen is a joke.)
One classic A&P still open is the tiny Centennial in Pluckemin, NJ. Too bad they had to "upgrade" the classic New Providence, NJ store. The Marlton, NJ Super Fresh is an untouched A&P from 1975 except for the name. The store still has the original Super Fresh logo!
Looks like the Southampton, NY Waldbaums was a Centennial A&P, though I'm not sure how much modifications they've done since. I know it's a Fresh Market now, but I'm not sure if and/or how much they added on.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I figured. NYC must be A&P's first and last stand. Here is one North Jersey store I find particularly interesting. There is a huge A&P Fresh in Pompton Lakes which replaced an Acme that burned down in 1997. At first, it was called Super A&P. I am not sure when exactly the A&P was built. A&P even owns the pizza place down the strip.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi. A&P plus stores qas that companies foray into Box Stores, that were the rage during
the last great recession. Sav A Lot. Mad Grocers and many more were all over the place.
I remember one in Norristown on the Germantown Pike across the street from Shop Rite
and Bradleys. Others that I remener were in Miltown and in Claymont De. They lasted
untill the mid 80!s./ I seem to remember that the first ones were in Chicargo, perhaps
the entire division, or what was left went that way.
Hope It Helps Gerry
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

The Broomall, PA and Cherry Hill, NJ Centennial A&Ps were at one time Plus. After that, they were both Drug Emporium too! Also of note is a Centennial A&P in Norristown that was A&P from 1965-1975, then Genuardi's from 1975-1985, and Mad Grocer from 1985-1995. This was due to 10-year leases. Then it served as a "Dollarland" dollar store, and now is a "Jomar" clothing store.

A few early, smaller 1950s Centennials that did not make the cut for Super Fresh instead turned into Plus. This happened at the West Goshen, PA store. Eventually it became a Gaudio's Nursery (once owned by Penn Fruit!) and then Frank's Nursery. Acme next door even used it as a garden store at one time! The property is now an office building called Turner Square. This store's "twin" was in Berlin, NJ. The A&P converted to Plus, then was an IGA, and is now a vacant lot! I guess Shell passed on the Texaco in the parking lot too!

Down in Hammonton, NJ there was an identical A&P. This store was replaced around 1975 by a more modern A&P. The original store converted to Plus, and eventually the later store converted to Super Fresh. They moved to a brand new store in 1995. This one was paired with a Wal-Mart. The Jamesway nearby, which was paired with Acme, closed the same year. Eventually Acme closed and Jamesway became a ShopRite. Meanwhile, the 1975 A&P is now a Goodwill and liquor store.

Some Food Fairs (or should I say Pantry Prides) oddly enough became Plus. This was the situation in Sharon Hill and Drexel Hill. Depending on how you look at it, A&P's problems were worse than Food Fair's problems. Guess A&P had less market share, but more money to burn!
werememberretail
Contributor

Post by werememberretail »

Ephrata1966 wrote:My question is, how does A&P survive at all anymore? I will have to infer that the unions keep them afloat, such as the deal that created the Super Fresh division. Here is a list of notable A&P store closings/name changes/sell-offs:

1. 1969: A&P abandons the West market after only 10 years; A Mart banner debuts

2. 1971: The company, fallen on hard times, debuts the WEO name

3. 1972-1974: A&P closes 800 stores?

4. 1975: Over 1000 more stores closed?

5. 1976-1981: More closings; in Philadelphia market all stores are converted BACK to regular A&Ps, albeit with a new logo, "Plus" stores debut?

6. 1982: Philadelphia division closed, replaced by Super Fresh eventually; Chicago division closed

7. 1993: A&P closes last PA stores with the exception of Super Fresh. The Centennial in Lehighton near Jim Thorpe stayed open as A&P until 1993! That store became a Fay's drugstore, then Eckerd, and the rest is history. At the same time, Acme sold their last stores in that region to local chain Insalaco's. Many of these were at one point Super Saver. The same stores were later sold to Bi-Lo, and most to Price Chopper in the end.
8. 1998-early 2002: Plenty of Super Fresh closings (many still abandoned), some sold to Kroger. Albertsons was also closing stores during this time, many of which were new, but also some Acmes.

9. 2005: Canadian division sold to local chain Metro, keeps A&P name at first

10. 2007-2008: The local Rouse's chain acquires remaining New Orleans Super Fresh stores and a 1920s! A&P; some in PA convert to Pathmark Sav-a-Center, A&P name finally replaced by Metro in Canada

11. 2009?: Margaretville, NY A&P closes, becomes Foodtown

12. 2009-2010: Last Central PA Super Fresh closes (former Futurestore in Etters, between York and Harrisburg), along with the identical store in Bristol, PA; Super Fresh in Pottstown, PA; and three of the six acquired Clemens stores

13. 2010: Say goodbye to Towson, MD Centennial Super Fresh and Broomall Pathmark!

I hope A&P doesn't drag down Pathmark like Food Fair did Penn Fruit, or Albertsons did with Acme. And for the record, you can find even more former A&Ps. They had thousands of early ones which were upgraded from 1955-1965 I hear.

One classic A&P still open is the tiny Centennial in Pluckemin, NJ. Too bad they had to "upgrade" the classic New Providence, NJ store. The Marlton, NJ Super Fresh is an untouched A&P from 1975 except for the name. The store still has the original Super Fresh logo!

Actually the Acmes in PA that were sold in 1994 were bought by Penn Traffic which bought Insalaco that same year. Penn Traffic also owned Bi-lo and converted the remaining insalaco's to the Bi Lo banner. As Penn Traffic began closing stores many of these stores became Price Choppers or Weis.

You also forgot to mention that in 1999 that A&P richmond VA division was sold to Food Lion, there were 38 stores at the time of sale. Also Publix bought a few of the A&P properties in the old Atlanta Division.
werememberretail
Contributor

maynesG wrote:Hi. A&P plus stores qas that companies foray into Box Stores, that were the rage during
the last great recession. Sav A Lot. Mad Grocers and many more were all over the place.
I remember one in Norristown on the Germantown Pike across the street from Shop Rite
and Bradleys. Others that I remener were in Miltown and in Claymont De. They lasted
untill the mid 80!s./ I seem to remember that the first ones were in Chicargo, perhaps
the entire division, or what was left went that way.
Hope It Helps Gerry
Gerry don't forget Jewel T the debut of Acme's (future) Windy City Cousin. in the Philly area
and Chicago was indeed the birthplace of the American Box store as the American division of Aldi debuted in 1976, Jewel T's began in 1978 ? Plus in 1979? Bill Moran Founded Save A lot (who ultimately bought Jewel T from Acme in the mid 80s) in 1976 in nearby St Louis Missouri. as A&P struggled with their traditional stores and the Food Fair chain exiting its native Philly, and established chains (namely Acme) and independent grocers (Thriftway,Shop N Bag, IGA, Great Scot, et al) not able to buy EVERY store that shut down box stores moved right in and served a purpose. I remember a classic Centennial A&P that became a Plus, it closed and was vacant for a number of years untiil a deli and catering place and a Thrift Drug Moved in. then in the 90s the deli closed and Giant (PA) took over the property bulldozed the old building and built a new store there.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

werememberretail wrote: I remember a classic Centennial A&P that became a Plus, it closed and was vacant for a number of years untiil a deli and catering place and a Thrift Drug Moved in. then in the 90s the deli closed and Giant (PA) took over the property bulldozed the old building and built a new store there.
Do you have any idea where this was?
werememberretail
Contributor

Ephrata1966 wrote:
werememberretail wrote: I remember a classic Centennial A&P that became a Plus, it closed and was vacant for a number of years untiil a deli and catering place and a Thrift Drug Moved in. then in the 90s the deli closed and Giant (PA) took over the property bulldozed the old building and built a new store there.
Do you have any idea where this was?
This store was on West Trenton Avenue in Morrisville PA The Thrift Drug moved to a new building next to the old one as Giant built its new store. it was one of the few Thrifts that survived as an Eckerd and became Rite Aid despite its small size and being across from a newer Larger CVS sorry for leaving you hanging
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

These closings still leave the Super Fresh Centennials open in Wynnewood, PA; Gladwyne, PA; and Newark, DE. I will have to predict the 1975 A&P/Super Fresh in Marlton, NJ will not last much longer. Kmart/Sears Essentials in that shopping center is already closed.

And I highly suspect the Super Fresh in New Castle, DE was also a later A&P. Can anyone confirm this?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

HI, Yes indeed it was and A&P, the busiest one in the state at one time. But with the decline of Collins Park development the stor has declined. The Acme closing up the street(now Rite Aide) about ten years ago, has kept it open.
demolition
Contributor

A & P closed 12 stores in Connecticut yesterday?

Post by demolition »

I heard a rumor that A & P closed 12 stores in Connecticut yesterday! I don't know if it has to do with a new union contract lockout or closing and/or selling off the stores to another company. This is just a rumor but I heard it from a union rep so if it is true it has not been made official yet! Best, Demolition
RoleModel

Re: A & P closed 12 stores in Connecticut yesterday?

Post by RoleModel »

demolition wrote:I heard a rumor that A & P closed 12 stores in Connecticut yesterday! I don't know if it has to do with a new union contract lockout or closing and/or selling off the stores to another company. This is just a rumor but I heard it from a union rep so if it is true it has not been made official yet! Best, Demolition
They sold 7 to Big Y, but I don't think they closed them yet.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

Here's the complete list, with addresses attached:

A&P - Berlin, CT - 207 Webster Square Rd, Kensington
A&P - Maplewood, NJ - 453 Valley St
A&P - Marlboro, NJ - 468 Country Rd 520
A&P - Lodi, NJ - 4 Memorial Drive
A&P - East Brunswick, NJ (1990's Design) - 647 Rt 18
A&P - Woodbridge, NJ (1990's Design) - 780 St Georges Ave
A&P - Yorktown Heights, NY - 100 Triangle Ctr
Pathmark - Little Falls, NJ - 1710 US 46
Pathmark - Fort Lee, NJ - 1475 Bergen Blvd
Pathmark - North Bergen, NJ - 2115 69th St
Pathmark - North Brunswick, NJ - 1345 US Hwy 1
Pathmark - Belleville, NJ - 726 Washington Ave OR 115 Belmont Ave
Pathmark - South Plainfield, NJ - 3600 Park Ave
Pathmark - Union, NJ - 2463 Rt 22 West
Pathmark - Millville, NJ - 2225 No. Second St
Pathmark - Monsey, NY - 45 NY Rt 59
Pathmark - Garden City Park, NY - 23-05 Jericho Tpke
Pathmark - Bristol, PA (Opened in early to mid 1980's) - 2671 Durham Road
Pathmark - Broomall, PA - 30 Lawrence Road
superfresh - Towson, MD (Opened as a Centennial/Colonial A&P) - 832 Dulaney Valley Rd
superfresh - Wheaton, MD - 3901 Aspen Hill Road
superfresh - Willow Grove, PA - 3070 Welsh Road
superfresh - Lansdale, PA - 2333 West Main Street
Waldbaum's - Centereach, NY - 1934 Middle Country Road
Waldbaum's - Levittown, NY - 3377 Hempstead Turnpike
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

And the 7 stores that were sold to Big Y, with addresses:

A&P - Old Lyme, CT - 90 Halls Road
A&P - Branford, CT - 1060 W Main St
A&P - Mystic, CT - 126 Stonington Road
A&P - East Haven, CT - 745 Foxon Road
A&P - Middletown, CT - 820 Washington St
A&P - Naugatuck, CT - 699 New Haven Road
Waldbaum's - West Hartford, CT - 772 N Main Street
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

A&P's website is a joke too. Just doesn't do justice to such a "great" company. I know A&P is smaller now, but this looks tacky enough to be a spam site.

Does anyone know how long they've had an online presence?