Acme and Philadelphia area shopping centers

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

A typical shopping center around Philadelphia used to have some combination of these:

1. Acme/A&P/Food Fair/Penn Fruit/Pathmark (later)

2. Thrift Drug/Rite Aid/CVS/Rea & Derick Drugs (owned by Acme, absorbed into CVS)

3. "State Store" liquors, owned by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB), later called "Wine & Spirits"

Some centers also had a Kmart, or Woolco, or a similar now-closed regional chain. Wal-Mart has replaced a few of these.

There was a shopping center in Pottstown, PA built in 1964 with Acme, Rea & Derick (owned by Acme), and a tiny State Store. The Acme is now long gone and demolished, replaced by a Redner's Warehouse Market. The Rea & Derick became CVS when Acme closed, even though Acme was empty a long time. Then finally CVS moved to a freestanding-looking but non-drive thru store attached to the end of the center. Old store became Dollar General. Other than the name change, the State Store (rather run down) is untouched. Here is a photo: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/R ... a+3-64.jpg

Hard to believe, but all this is now far from Acme territory. In contrast, this identical store is barely outside Philadelphia: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/R ... a+8-63.jpg

Acme is still there, but has been greatly expanded and looks nothing like this anymore. It is not far from the former Lansdowne store though. The Upper Darby and Newtown Square ones both replaced a 1940s store. Also note the "State Store" sign next to Newtown Square: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/R ... +pa+67.jpg

By the way, the King of Prussia store relocated in 1993. I only know the old one was demolished, and the current one has already been remodeled a few times.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,I remember the original Acme in the King of Prussia Mall it was tor down andis now part of a department store.The new store is up a bit on route 202 and interestingly enough has been built on the site of what was A&P !s headquarter store in the Philadelphia Division the was located across the street from the store in the office building adjacent to the grave yard.
When Super Fresh came into existence they set up shop in the Perishable Warehouse in
Florence New Jersey.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Re: Centennial A&Ps "reconstituted" as Super Fresh

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Thanks for the info. I think the current store might actually have been 1988, my mistake. Next to the first photo in this thread, it says something about the Florence headquarters.

From "Family Pride", a history book on the Genuardi family, I found out they wanted what is now the Bed Bath & Beyond building. Not sure what it used to be, but it was one of Bed Bath & Beyond's first modern stores. It was recently closed for a few months for interior remodeling. Genuardi's made an offer on this store in their early days, but was turned down for being a family chain.

Speaking of Genuardi's and Newtown Square, they officially closed their store in that town about 20 minutes ago. Kind of ironic is how the nearby Acme (union) has outlived them. The Genuardi's only opened in 1996, and looks older than the current Acme in my opinion.

Also, down 202 in Norristown/East Norriton is a Big Lots which used to be a standard 70's Acme. I still wonder where the original Norristown Acme was. But I hear this shopping center opened in 1959 originally, so perhaps it was close by. The empty Kmart closed last year. I have no idea why Big Lots has so few stores in the Philadelphia area. The only other one I know of close by that was a grocery store is the former Aston/Village Green A&P.
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Post by JoshAustin610 »

The CVS in Pottstown actually does have a drive-thru; it and the older one on East High St relocated the same year (1999). The High St store actually was 24 hours even before it moved, one of the first in the Philly area. There's also one in North Coventry outside the mall; they're trying to move to where the former Lone Star Steakhouse is up closer to the road.
werememberretail
Contributor

Re: Acme and Philadelphia area shopping centers

Post by werememberretail »

maynesG wrote:Hi,I remember the original Acme in the King of Prussia Mall it was tor down andis now part of a department store.The new store is up a bit on route 202 and interestingly enough has been built on the site of what was A&P !s headquarter store in the Philadelphia Division the was located across the street from the store in the office building adjacent to the grave yard.
When Super Fresh came into existence they set up shop in the Perishable Warehouse in
Florence New Jersey.
Gerry
About the old Acme in KofP Mall (plaza)
1.Was it a pitch roof Acme considering that it was opened in the 60s?
2. and when was it torn down ?
3. and is said site at the frou-frou (1992) upscale expansion area that houses Nordstrom and stores like that.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Here is a direct link to a King of Prussia photo: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/R ... sia+pa.jpg
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

Ephrata1966 wrote:From "Family Pride", a history book on the Genuardi family, I found out they wanted what is now the Bed Bath & Beyond building. Not sure what it used to be, but it was one of Bed Bath & Beyond's first modern stores. It was recently closed for a few months for interior remodeling. Genuardi's made an offer on this store in their early days, but was turned down for being a family chain.
The King of Prussia Bed Bath & Beyond was originally a Food Fair Supermarket. Next door to the supermarket was Sam Shapiro's Eric King Twin Theatre (today it's Michael's Crafts). This was the the first theatre that Mr. Shapiro opened for his Sameric Theatres chain.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

werememberretail wrote:
maynesG wrote:Hi,I remember the original Acme in the King of Prussia Mall it was tor down andis now part of a department store.The new store is up a bit on route 202 and interestingly enough has been built on the site of what was A&P !s headquarter store in the Philadelphia Division the was located across the street from the store in the office building adjacent to the grave yard.
Florence New Jersey.
Gerry
3. and is said site at the frou-frou (1992) upscale expansion area that houses Nordstrom and stores like that.
It was a pitch roof Acme. The Acme, along with the stand-alone Woolworth's was torn down between 1993 annd 1995 when Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, and Neiman Marcus were added, and when the old Penney's store was converted into mall space.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes it was and A Frame Acme and was in the southern most area of the original mall facing route 202 ( Thrift Drug was near by) I believe it is now parking lot. The same thing happened to Acme in the Exton Mall( The original store I believe is where Boscov Is.) and in the Media Mall the original store is part of a Department Store. The rent would have Killed them.
werememberretail
Contributor

MikeRa wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote:From "Family Pride", a history book on the Genuardi family, I found out they wanted what is now the Bed Bath & Beyond building. Not sure what it used to be, but it was one of Bed Bath & Beyond's first modern stores. It was recently closed for a few months for interior remodeling. Genuardi's made an offer on this store in their early days, but was turned down for being a family chain.
The King of Prussia Bed Bath & Beyond was originally a Food Fair Supermarket. Next door to the supermarket was Sam Shapiro's Eric King Twin Theatre (today it's Michael's Crafts). This was the the first theatre that Mr. Shapiro opened for his Sameric Theatres chain.
MikeRa:
Thanks for confirming. It's very ironic that I visited the area yesterday. and I was thinking that the BBB was a Food Fair. However Many have said that Food Fair was in the center but thought that it was on the lower level.( There was also a Grant's dimestore too) I would have believed it had I not seen the BBB, however the BBB is a dead giveaway structurewise because the store's physical exterior resembled other larger Food Fair /Pantry Pride stores in the chain. plus it's the right size for a Food Fair one question though I wonder what it was after Pantry Pride (but before BBB) since Genuardi's couldn't buy it for being a "family chain" ? Pathmark, maybe
werememberretail
Contributor

MikeRa wrote:
werememberretail wrote:
Florence New Jersey.
Gerry
It was a pitch roof Acme. The Acme, along with the stand-alone Woolworth's was torn down between 1993 annd 1995 when Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, and Neiman Marcus were added, and when the old Penney's store was converted into mall space.
Thanks Mike, I happened to visit KoP yesterday. It was actually my first time visiting the mall. nice place. I thought that made sense, though at such a place like that I'm surprised that a so-old school Acme survived into the 90s. on the Woolworth, I always thought The old Woolworth's was connected to the mall.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

maynesG wrote:Yes it was and A Frame Acme and was in the southern most area of the original mall facing route 202 ( Thrift Drug was near by) I believe it is now parking lot. The same thing happened to Acme in the Exton Mall( The original store I believe is where Boscov Is.) and in the Media Mall the original store is part of a Department Store. The rent would have Killed them.
The Acme/Thrift Drug that was at the Granite Run Mall (on the outside, in-between JC Penney and Clover) is still there, remodeled into today's Acme Sav-on store
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Actualy the store that you are speaking of is the replacement store for the original Acme in the Granite Run Mall. I helped close the original store! The original store was actualy part of the main mall and the building is long since gone. Perhaps this was before your time!
Thanks! Gerry
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Good grief maynesG! I had no idea about this Acme either! Perhaps it relocated in the 80's? That is strange since the mall opened no earlier than 1973. Was this a typical 70's Acme? I was living in Jersey through all this. The current store I just know once had the old oval logo. Then it was remodeled by Albertsons in 2000. They added a Starbucks which has since closed.

I also heard something about a State Store liquor store in the current building. Do you recall that? Now it would be a beer store called Mall Beverages. This is around the back. If you look closely, you can still see a 70's Acme trailer that never moves!

Now you have me wondering. Do you know when the other Acme in Media relocated? The current store I recall being a 70's Acme. It was demolished and rebuilt around 2003-2004. That one also expanded into a former Thrift Drug/Eckerd. On Baltimore Pike in between here and Granite Run, it looks like there was another early 50's Acme. This building was last occupied by "Keystone Quality Transport", a private ambulance company, but is now empty. Temporarily it was a political office. This is across from the current Media State Store.

Also, Plymouth Meeting Mall opened in 1966 originally. There is now a church in the mall. They call it "Church on The Mall"! And looking in Live Maps, it looks kind of like an Acme A Frame!
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Post by JoshAustin610 »

I've been confused for a while with the Valley Forge Shopping Center in King of Prussia; I know there were at certain points an A&P, a Food Fair (which coexisted), a W.T. Grant, and the Eric theater. I've been told so many different things as to what used to be what. Currently there's the Bed Bath & Beyond spot, a two-story spot that has Michael's on the top floor and the former CompUSA/ Steve & Barry's, on the bottom, and a spot that used to be Marshall's. There's also the K&G that's across the side street from BB&B (now called Town Center Rd, but may have just been part of the parking lot back then). I was told at one point that the Michael's/ S&B two-story spot was the W.T. Grant, and told on separate occasions that the Marshall's and the BB&B were the Food Fair. I still can't figure out where the A&P was. I've also been told the Marshall's was the Eric, with extra screens added in what's now the K&G. Can anyone explain exactly what was where? At this point I have pictures of all of these on my Flickr, and I'd really like to finally label them properly. :)