Does anyone remeber Fazios?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

perezquad

Does anyone remeber Fazios?

Post by perezquad »

I was driving on Valley Blvd the other day on my way to Alhambra, it had been well over 25 years since I had been in that particular area and I passed a shopping center and I remember there being a grocery store there and I think it was called Fazios. I tried looking up a history on it, but could not find anything. Am I correct in remebering a chain called Fazios( I was a small child at the time so I may be wrong)
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Fazio's entered the Socal market in 1972 with the purchase of Shopping Bag, which was itself the combination of a chain that Vons had to divest due to an antitrust ruling in the Supreme Court and the Socal A&P operation. Albertsons bought Fazio's in 1978.

There were two Fazio's in Alhambra: the one on Valley Blvd that became Albertsons/Grocery Warehouse/Max Foods/Lucky, and the Super A Foods on Main St next to Alhambra High School. I think I have a list of locations from 1972 and if I have a chance I'll post it.
Last edited by runchadrun on 30 Jan 2007 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

In La Habra CA...at the corner of Whittier Boulevard & Hacienda Road was a Fazio's. The building is still there, and has housed a number of things over the years. Sears Outlet Store and an auto parts store to name a couple.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

This is the list of Shopping Bag stores that Fazio's bought in 1972. Some of these were former A&Ps and there's a list of them at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=872. What I notice is that the concentration of stores was in the San Gabriel Valley and other suburban areas. There's only one store in Los Angeles proper, the one on La Cienega that is now a Circuit City (see the above A&P thread for more on that store).

Albertsons bought 46 Fazio's stores in 1978 from parent company Fisher Foods. Albertsons already operated 47 stores in Socal. Albertsons stores were mainly in Orange County. I've marked with a * the stores that were not listed in the 1978 post-merger list of stores from an ad in the LA Times. It's possible that some of the outlying stores (El Centro, Calexico, China Lake) did exist and were merged but not listed.

1000 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra
300 W Main St, Alhambra
2408 Lincoln Ave, Altadena (closed in 1973)
9927 Katella, Anaheim
1407 S Baldwin, Arcadia
2150 N Glenoaks, Burbank
*401 E 2nd St, Calexico
*Naval Weapons Center, China Lake
960 W Arrow Hwy, Covina
9937 Walker St, Cypress
Firestone and Lakewood, Downey
*1040 Imperial Ave, El Centro
*11039 E Valley Blvd, El Monte
*16823 Foothill Blvd, Fontana
1845 W Orangethorpe, Fullerton
2904 N Brea St, Fullerton
331 N Glendale Ave, Glendale
515 W Broadway, Glendale
517 S Glendora Ave, Glendora
3208 E Florence, Huntington Park
920 Foothill Blvd, La Canada
3100 Foothill, La Crescenta
1611 W Whittier Blvd, La Habra
1111 Avenue I, Lancaster
La Palma at Moody, La Palma
15421 Amar Rd, La Puente
1839 S La Cienega, Los Angeles
140 W Foothill Blvd, Monrovia
127 N Garfield, Monterey Park
2280 Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park
Borchard at Reino, Newbury Park
*6744 Lankershim, North Hollywood
815 E Avenue Q-6, Palmdale
3841 E Sierra Madre, Pasadena
451 S Sierra Madre, Pasadena
457 S Fair Oaks, Pasadena
*9130 E Whittier Blvd, Pico Rivera
*127 N. San Dimas Canyon, San Dimas
*1120 Bristol, Santa Ana
3305 State Street, Santa Barbara
*8325 Foothill Blvd, Sunland
*304 E Foothill, Upland
13630 Victory Blvd, Van Nuys
1850 Telegraph St, Ventura
913 S Glendora Ave, West Covina
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

runchadrun wrote: 127 N Garfield, Monterey Park
2280 Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park
127 North Garfield was a roller rink for many years in the 80's.
Today its the Hong Kong Supermarket.

2280 Atlantic is in Atlantic Square. It was torn down to build a Ralphs in the 90's.
wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Fazio's Store Location

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Sometime in the mid 1970's to the time when Albertsons bought the Fazio's grocery stores I worked at a small Market Basket Store in Anaheim, California and the store was just a few blocks north of the intersection of Lincoln and State College Blvd. Right across the street from the Market Basket and on the west side of State College Bvld., Fazio's built a new Fazio's Grocery Store. I don't know if that store was also in the group that Fazio's sold to Albertsons but it was at the location that I've listed.

I can also remember another Fazio Grocery Store that was opened up in what used to be a large 70,000 sq. ft. remodeled Leonards Store which was located on Harbor Blvd., in I believe that it was either in Anaheim or Garden Grove. I know that I have the street name corect but I moved out of state in 1979 so my memory is a little fuzzy about whether it was located in Anaheim or Garden Grove. I can remember that this 70,000 sq. ft. Fazio's Store was big enough that it had 3 different shifts of night stockers to stock the shelves.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Fazio's was part of Fisher Foods of Cleveland. The Fazio brothers had had a small family-owned chain. They organized a group of investors and other super market people who took over Fisher (a publicly-traded company that had been run by descendants of the founding Fishers and their inl-laws, the Conways) .

They also owned Dominick's of Chicago and bought the Kanter Bros chain in Central & Southern Ohio, which oeprated supers inside of Rink's dicount stores. Dominick's stayed Dominick's (and was run by the founding family, who later bought it back from Fisher), but Kanter, like Shopping Bag, became Fazio's. I mention this because, Shopping Bag was their final out of town purchase and one they came to regret. Thay also never did much with Kanter, whichr eally didn't fit with the kind of stores they had in Cleveland and Chicago. They had established themselves as a "fresh foods" store with early ventures into in-store delis and bakeries. In Cleveland, they had strong competition, but were always #1 or #2 (after taking over the well-liked but somewhat moribund Fisher chain) and Dominick's grew to be a strong #2 in Chicago before the sale, but Shopping Bag probably gave them less to work with, esp. after having been run by A&P during a particularly low point in its history.
HollywoodEvan

Re: Does anyone remeber Fazios?

Post by HollywoodEvan »

I worked as the Security Officer on weekends at the 1839 S La Cienega, Los Angeles Fazio's Store in 1976 It was kind of a rough neighborhood. Lots of fights outside in the parking lot,people crashing the door with carts filled to the top with cases of Liquor and other merchandise.I used to see a lot of people making sandwiches and eating snacks right off the shelves.They gave me a gun to carry but I kept it unloaded,as I didn't want to get in any kind of shooting fiasco,and I made myself scarce when trouble started.$3.50 an hour wasn't worth getting hurt for.What a Zoo that place was.There were some nice people who worked there though.One of the ladies who worked there went on to become a famous adult film actress. Can anyone guess who she was?
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

I do remember a Fazios store in Santa Ana Ca. it was on 17th street near tustin ave, and later it became an albertsons. I'm not sure what it is now. it was in a kinda odd location. Fazios was good store with a large selection of product. wow things sure have changed in orange county.
melrose1960
Contributor

Post by melrose1960 »

More Fazio's Information Than You Might Be Ready For....aka T.M.I.

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot. ... /Fazio%27s

Melrose1960
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

I just wanted to add to this that there was a Fazios on Atlanta and Magnolia in Huntington Beach CA back in the 70's.

I believe this is the correct address: 8891 Atlanta Ave, Huntington Beach, CA‎. It is now a Vons. If I remember correctly it ceased operation as a Fazios in the 70's and became.... Albertsons (?).
Clumsygenes
Contributor

Re:

Post by Clumsygenes »

Dean wrote:In La Habra CA...at the corner of Whittier Boulevard & Hacienda Road was a Fazio's. The building is still there, and has housed a number of things over the years. Sears Outlet Store and an auto parts store to name a couple.

I live here in La Habra also and remember when Fazios came here, and I remember Shopping Bag beforehand. What a great grocery store Fazios was.
circlekkid
Contributor

Post by circlekkid »

For a while the Cypress store was called "Fazio's Shopping Bag" until Albertsons bought them.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

circlekkid wrote:For a while the Cypress store was called "Fazio's Shopping Bag" until Albertsons bought them.
Was that Ball & Walker or Ball & Valley View?
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
circlekkid
Contributor

Post by circlekkid »

That would be N/W corner of Ball/Walker. Market at Ball and Valley View was built on an old dairy site as Albertsons and now is Stater Bros.