Mystery Safeway interior decor - Richmond, VA

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

xsafeway
Contributor

Re: Mystery Safeway interior decor - Richmond, VA

Post by xsafeway »

I was working for Safeway in the old Richmond Division when this store opened in 1979. It originally had the more traditional 1970s decor mentioned in another post in this stream. It may have been remodeled but I don't think so, I believe this store may have operated as The Grocery Store (a Farm Fresh company) when Safeway first pulled out of Richmond in 1993.
Dave
Veteran

Re: Mystery Safeway interior decor - Richmond, VA

Post by Dave »

xsafeway wrote:I was working for Safeway in the old Richmond Division when this store opened in 1979. It originally had the more traditional 1970s decor mentioned in another post in this stream. It may have been remodeled but I don't think so, I believe this store may have operated as The Grocery Store (a Farm Fresh company) when Safeway first pulled out of Richmond in 1993.
I don't believe that this store was one of the ones that were converted to The Grocery Store. The notes I have indicate that it was to have been reopened as an independent, but I'm not sure that it ever was. It may have had a remodel started, though.

There was sort of a "stutter" when Safeway pulled out with the Farm Fresh/The Grocery Store conversions. The stores were renamed overnight as The Grocery Store with banners and some closed for remodeling but never reopened. I believe Glenside and Jahnke Road both ended up this way. In addition, there were some that were first noted as going to Farm Fresh that ended up as independents.