Possible former Grand Union

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Possible former Grand Union

Post by Ephrata1966 »

There is a Great Valu store at Baltimore Ave. and Cobbs Creek Parkway in West Philadelphia. Most Great Valu stores in the area became The Fresh Grocer, which broke away from Great Valu. Does anyone know if this was ever a Grand Union? Were there any Grand Unions in Philadelphia?
rich
Veteran

Re: Possible former Grand Union

Post by rich »

Grand Union was never in Philly and despite having a warehouse on the Maryland side of DC, they were never in Baltimore.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Yes Grand Union never did have a store in Philadelphia. However. they were in the Baltimore /DCMarket for about twenty years. They changed their store names to Basics, then sold them to Metro and then to Supervalu, who renamed them to Shoppers World. As to being in the city limits of Baltimore I am not sure. The store you speak of was an old Acme

Thanks
Gerry
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG wrote:Hi, Yes Grand Union never did have a store in Philadelphia. However. they were in the Baltimore /DCMarket for about twenty years. They changed their store names to Basics, then sold them to Metro and then to Supervalu, who renamed them to Shoppers World. As to being in the city limits of Baltimore I am not sure. The store you speak of was an old Acme

Thanks
Gerry
Barclay Square Great Valu in Upper Darby is an odd case. A Penn Fruit was supposed to be built there in 1957, but it became Food Fair instead. I believe some Grand Unions in Virginia became Great Valu.
Last edited by Ephrata1966 on 16 Sep 2009 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I used to call on Drexiline Market years ago,going back to the days when they purchased groceries from Fleming. As many times as I was in and out of that store, i got to admit I realy don!t know what it began life as. It looked like it migth have been a square box Acme from the early 60!s . Food Fair built a few square box stores that became Shop & Bags in the city , that this store reminded me of too!

Hope it helps
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG wrote:Hi, I used to call on Drexiline Market years ago,going back to the days when they purchased groceries from Fleming. As many times as I was in and out of that store, i got to admit I realy don!t know what it began life as. It looked like it migth have been a square box Acme from the early 60!s . Food Fair built a few square box stores that became Shop & Bags in the city , that this store reminded me of too!

Hope it helps
Could have been a Food Fair. Maybe A&P. I think it may have even been a Woolworth.

Any idea on when the Baltimore Ave. Acme opened/closed?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Honestly, I don!t know. I new people who worked their but I just nvever entered my head to ask! It would be nice to know