Redner's Warehouse Market in Middletown, NY is Closing

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

webcookie
Contributor

Redner's Warehouse Market in Middletown, NY is Closing

Post by webcookie »

Redner's Warehouse Market on Dolson Avenue, formerly occupied by Waldbaum's, is closing. My mom was in there a couple of days ago and all of the freezers are shut off, many of the overhead lights are shut off, and many areas of the store are blocked off. It seems like it was a pretty quick decision to close this store.

Now I'm speculating about what might replace it. Pathmark? Weis? I'm not sure what other supermarket chains are in this area or might consider coming here. There's still an A&P in Greenwood Lake, but A&P has one abandoned building in downtown Middletown, and one half abandoned building on 211; it would be silly for them to take over the Redner's building. Too far north for Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Publix, and I've heard that Wegman's and Price Chopper refuse to exist in the same town, so Wegman's is out. I know it doesn't have to be replaced by a supermarket, or really anything at all, but it's going to suck having only one supermarket (Shoprite) on this side of town.

---
On an unrelated note, the Stop & Shop on 211 closed awhile back and Shoprite bought the building and moved from their previous 211 location. They have, of course, completely destroyed and filthified (yes, that's the only way to describe it) the once-nice Stop & Shop building. The former Shoprite location on 211 is going to become home to a Big Lots in the near future. On the bright side, we're finally getting a Papa John's in that plaza.
drpep
Contributor

Re: Redner's Warehouse Market in Middletown, NY is Closing

Post by drpep »

Wegmans and Price Chopper compete in Syracuse.
catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

drpep wrote:Wegmans and Price Chopper compete in Syracuse.
Wilkes-Barre PA as well. Matter of fact PC just opened (last year) a brand new store right down the street from Wegmans there.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Weis sounds possible. Redner's took over (and expanded) the 60's Acme in Pottstown, PA. Weis gave the Acme in Ephrata the same treatment.
GreatAmericanBagBoy
Contributor

Post by GreatAmericanBagBoy »

Chopper and Wegman's also compete in the Binghamton, NY Market, where Weis recently completed the purchase of the locally owned Giant chain from the Akel family. Weis could make sense if they are looking to increase their footprint into NY state. I believe they at one time had a store in Elmira.

Wegman's could be interesting to watch- not that they already aren't. They are pursuing expansion into the Boston area, and Chopper's home turf in the Capital District has some markets that fit well with Wegman's strategy.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,
Weis had a store in Newburgh of of route 84 near the Mall for a lot of years. It was a low volume store and I can!t imagine that they would come back into this market.
Redners opened the Middletown store because on of the brothers that manage the company had a summer home near by. Sadly he passed on, the store was marginal , expensive to run, due to the distances from Reading to Middletown so the company closed it.
Its a shame, perhaps Giant/ Topps would be interested , but then again the Stop & Shop that closed was originaly planned to be an Edwards and is owned by Ahold.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

maynesG wrote:Hi,
Weis had a store in Newburgh of of route 84 near the Mall for a lot of years. It was a low volume store and I can!t imagine that they would come back into this market.
They also had one in Kingston at the same time.

And, of course back a number of years owned the Albany Public Markets chain in and around Albany.
webcookie
Contributor

Post by webcookie »

maynesG wrote:Hi,
Redners opened the Middletown store because on of the brothers that manage the company had a summer home near by. Sadly he passed on, the store was marginal , expensive to run, due to the distances from Reading to Middletown so the company closed it.
Its a shame, perhaps Giant/ Topps would be interested , but then again the Stop & Shop that closed was originaly planned to be an Edwards and is owned by Ahold.
What took the place of the Weis in Newburgh (so I can go look for it)?

I didn't know that about our former Stop & Shop. I miss it, though. Shoprite is so disgusting.
Transit Road
Contributor

Post by Transit Road »

According to "The Weis Project", the Weis Supermarket at the Newburgh Mall is now Bed, Bath, & Beyond. http://www.weisproject.com/past_detail.php?num=7

Weis was located just to the left of the main entrance to the mall and was a stand alone store.

Also, Weis was one of the original tenants when the mall opened.
webcookie
Contributor

Post by webcookie »

Transit Road wrote:According to "The Weis Project", the Weis Supermarket at the Newburgh Mall is now Bed, Bath, & Beyond. http://www.weisproject.com/past_detail.php?num=7

Weis was located just to the left of the main entrance to the mall and was a stand alone store.

Also, Weis was one of the original tenants when the mall opened.
Ah, thanks. I almost want to say that I remember the Weis signage now.