CLAREMONT CA--Albertsons site closing

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

runchadrun wrote:This is a list of Skaggs Alpha Beta locations from a display ad in the LA Times dated 11/10/1982:
430 W Claremont Center Drive, Claremont
341 El Camino Real, Encinitas
19640 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach
13413 Telegraph Rd, Whittier
312 E Betteravia Rd, Santa Maria

In 1983 ground was broken for a shopping center in Fallbrook at the corner of Mission and Ammunition Roads (there's a street name!) that was to be anchored by a SAB and a Sprouse-Reitz.

In 1987 a SAB was to open at the SW corner of Pioneer and Firestone in Norwalk.
Noticed the Huntington Beach site is now Albertsons.

Is a huge site. Was the former SAB site demolished and replaced with the Albertsons?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: CLAREMONT CA--Albertsons site closing

Post by Jeff »

It has the look of a SAB, and I dont think its ever been demolished. I remember it as a Lucky.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Site still vacant today. Even Claremont Toyota is in a bit of a decline as well.

When I went inside the store before it closed, it had the 1998 Lucky decor package.

Actually, that part of Claremont is not the best area for a store like Albertsons despite facing the 10 Freeway. The Pomona city limits are right behind the store, which may have contributed to its demise. The landscape changes as you drive down Indian Hill until you reach the end at Holt.

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Skaggs Alpha Beta commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNdq8y6 ... re=related

The Huntington Beach site is still an Albertsons.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Jimenez Ranch Market on Indian Hill and San Bernardino Ave was a '60's era Alpha Beta, but that area is Pomona and not Claremont.

At one time, there were 4 Alpha Beta/Albertsons/Food4Less lineage stores along about 2 miles of Indian Hill Blvd in the Claremont/Pomona area;
- Boys/Food4Less (now El Super) at Holt in Pomona
- Alpha Beta, later Jimenez Ranch at San Bernardino in Pomona
- Skaggs Alpha Beta/Lucky/Albertsons at Auto Center in Claremont
- the now closed Savon/CVS at Arrow Hwy (if we include Albertsons' drug region) in Claremont

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

I can't see the sign well from the freeway...yet, it appears as tho the site is finally opening as something else. Will try to get a better look soon!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:I can't see the sign well from the freeway...yet, it appears as tho the site is finally opening as something else. Will try to get a better look soon!
Site is being completely gutted to become Super King Markets:

http://www.superkingmarkets.com/