A & P's on Cape Cod, Mass.

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

capecodder
Contributor

Re: A & P's on Cape Cod, Mass.

Post by capecodder »

Speaking of the former "little Chatham" A&P, its status as Chatham Village Market is in jeopardy. See attached from the Cape Cod Times.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... /907290314
Max
Contributor

Re: A & P's on Cape Cod, Mass.

Post by Max »

capecodder wrote: 25 Nov 2007 13:21 Great site -- I just discovered it this weekend. In the early 1980's, I was employed at A&P #191 in Mattapoisett, Mass. (near Cape Cod). At the time there were numerous A&P stores on Cape Cod, announced by a memorable sign at the Buzzards Bay rotary ("A&P on Cape Cod" with store locations hanging from a design with the arm of Cape Cod and the A&P symbol.

Since this time all the A&P's on Cape Cod have closed -- some became Grand Unions (future stores, esp.), other Salvation Army Thrift shops (as is #191 in Mattapoisett). There were several on Martha' Vineyard and Nantucket, as well (I worked at briefly at the Nantucket location -- dirty and crowded, but everything sold. "Stack it high and watch it fly!," was the motto).

I noticed that the Northeast section does not focus on New England as much. If there is interest, as I now live on Cape Cod, I will photograph some old A&P locations and post. Perhaps someone has some information regarding Souteastern Mass. and Cape Cod A&P's in particular.

Thanks!
This is obviously a very belated response, but Flickr user John (JSF0864) posted a photo of the memorable "A&P on Cape Cod" sign which the above poster alluded to. Here is a link to that photo:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ap-cape-c ... 822691048/
Having lived and worked on Cape Cod for many summers, I can tell you where A&P stores were located and what they are housing now.

Bourne, opened in 93, closed in 2003, then a Grand Union, now vacant
Buzzards Bay, opened early 60s, closed in 93, now Ocean State Job Lot
Sandwich, opened 1990 as a Futurestore, now Stop and Shop
Falmouth, opened about 1960, later expanded, closed in 93, now an independent market
Osterville, opened in 1959, closed in 2001, now housing a non grocery business
Hyannis, opened in late 50s, closed in the 80s, now a Staples
South Yarmouth, opened in 87 as a Futurestore, closed 2003, now a Stop and Shop
Dennisport, purchased from Stop and Shop in 1983, closed 2003, now vacant
Harwichport, opened in early 60s, closed about 1985, now a Post Office
Orleans, opened in the 50s, closed in the late 70s, now an independent grocer
Chatham (downtown), opened in the 50s, closed in 2003, now an independent grocer
Chatham, purchased from Stop and Shop in 83, closed in 2002, now an Ocean State Job Lot
Provincetown, old store dates to the late 50s, replaced by a new store in 1990, closed in 2003, now a Grand Union
Vineyard Haven, opened in the 50s, closed 2003, now a Stop and Shop
Edgartown, opened in early 60s, expanded in late 80s, now a Stop and Shop
Nantucket, opened in 60s, closed 2003, now a Grand Union
This is a very impressive recollection of when the A&P locations listed above opened and closed. After doing some research on Newspapers.com (and on some other online websites), I ascertained more specific details regarding the opening and closing dates for some of these A&P supermarkets, and I hope to share this information in the future.