Bashas'

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

SContreras wrote:Some of the older Bashas' STILL have the pylon! . THis is Bashas' on 7th Ave & Osborn (the same store with the upstairs eatery) in Phoenix.
I drove by that store and took several pictures when I was in Phoenix. It's absolutely stunning, day and night:

Dean
Veteran

Re: Bashas'

Post by Dean »

Indeed, cool shot Mr. Host! Thanks!

Incidentally, the time I visited this site...it was also @ night.

As mentioned...the upstairs eating area. Anyone know the history of this? Designed as something else? It was wild sitting up there...and watching people shop. Literally, from a different perspective.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

This website transcribes an interview with the existing generation of the Basha's, and has a few exterior photos, including the store above. That store is the oldest continuously-operating Basha's. Opening in 1956 as a flagship store for a Basha's new format, it emulated Von's format at the time;
http://www.azpbs.org/arizonastories/ppedetail.php?id=76

Pylon store in Phoenix (operated by Basha's under the Food City name), probably store #12 at 2124 E Mcdowell Rd;
http://www.cruisecloseouts.com/B%20Pics ... x%2003.JPG
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:I have been to a few Bashas' when I have been in AZ. I felt that one in particular was unique/cool. If I recall...there was a flight of stairs...and a seating area upstairs. There was a cool view of the entire store from this eating area. I wonder if that was originally an in-house diner for the store?

Bashas' must pick up loads of product themselves in Southern California. Periodically, I see their trucks on the metropolitan LA freeways.
I saw two (2) of their trucks last week on the LA freeways.

Contacted Bashas' via their website...and they kindly replied.

They pick up their produce at the Los Angeles produce markets!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

All of Bashas' sites are in Arizona, besides a site in CA and a site in New Mexico.

The CA site is to close...and is riveting the community.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_14392236 ... .sbsun.com
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Possibly being acquired by Albertsons:

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_14514205 ... .sbsun.com

Still see Bashas' trucks in SoCal!
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

Dean wrote:All of Bashas' sites are in Arizona, besides a site in CA and a site in New Mexico.

The CA site is to close...and is riveting the community.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_14392236 ... .sbsun.com
City of Needles, Ca. somehow stepped in and the Basha's store there (which used to be a Bayless) was still in operation as of 2 weeks ago :)

Flip side: the Basha's store on McDowell Rd/74th St in Scottsdale closed down early in 2008. Bummer being it was one that had the upstairs eating area. Store was built/opened ca. 1962 so it was too new for the pylon.

Offtopic here: not sure where to introduce myself here on Groceteria; but, thanks for allowing me to join.

I, too am something of a history buff and I am a Wash DC native who has also lived in coastal California, Arizona as well as a few months each in Florida and Oregon. :)
Bearhawke in Arizona
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Bashas' site on Glendale @ 16th in Phoenix...had to have been a Lucky!

Sign on the street, and the interior of the store are the clues!

Yes, a facelift with painting...but the flooring and frig/freezer cases are from the Lucky era!
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Yes, it opened as a Lucky. It became an ABCO when they bought the AZ Lucky stores in the late 80s. When ABCO went under (along with its then-owner Fleming) in the early 00s Bashas' bought the store
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

jamcool wrote:Yes, it opened as a Lucky. It became an ABCO when they bought the AZ Lucky stores in the late 80s. When ABCO went under (along with its then-owner Fleming) in the early 00s Bashas' bought the store
thanks!

It is just like walking into the past! Everything is still in the same spot...produce, deli, meat, pharmacy.

What a hoot!
TonyG
Contributor

Post by TonyG »

Unfortunately, Bashas' wasn't able to get favorable terms on a lease renewal at that site and now it's a Sprouts (along with a number of other former ABCO stores in the Phoenix area).
TonyG
Contributor

Post by TonyG »

Dean wrote:The Bashas' site on Glendale @ 16th in Phoenix...had to have been a Lucky!

Sign on the street, and the interior of the store are the clues!

Yes, a facelift with painting...but the flooring and frig/freezer cases are from the Lucky era!
If you're in Arizona and want some Lucky era remnants, try the Safeway at 7th St. and Thunderbird. The exterior walls were renovated when Safeway bought the store in 2001 but many of the freezers, the flooring, light fixtures, etc. are significantly older. The Pharmacy is also in an odd location for a typical Phoenix area Safeway.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

TonyG wrote:Unfortunately, Bashas' wasn't able to get favorable terms on a lease renewal at that site and now it's a Sprouts (along with a number of other former ABCO stores in the Phoenix area).
\

The Sprouts market just recently opened at that site. So we have a grocery store on its 4th owner! (Lucky to ABCO to Bashas' to Sprouts)