What were all these stores at one time? Acme?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

What were all these stores at one time? Acme?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I noticed all these buildings had the same textured design on Google Maps. Acme possibly? Or Penn Fruit?

5000 State Road, Drexel Hill, PA 19026
Store was IGA, then Supervalu, then Great Valu, now The Fresh Grocer. In Street View I saw what looked like an old Acme street sign, now used by a club called Antonio's. There also is an older CVS next to this store, which might have been a Rea & Derick (Acme-owned drugstore).

121 E. City Avenue, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
This building was built in 1955 along with the shopping center. The store has been an Acme since 1991 though, and I heard it relocated from the former Penn Fruit nearby.

Lafayette and Ocean Streets, Cape May, NJ 08204
What this store is now I don't know. Ironically it sits right next to a surviving A Frame Acme.

800 Black Horse Pike, Pleasantville, NJ 08232
Address is for Kmart, which I know was a Woolco. The store at the right end of the plaza I think may have been an Acme. I have no idea what it is now.

130 Sunset Blvd., New Castle, DE 19720
now Ross Dress for Less
maynesG
Veteran

Re: What were all these stores at one time? Acme?

Post by maynesG »

Hi,
The only former Acmes in New Castle that I know about are on Route 9 in the Swanwick section, built in the 50!s it had a large tower sign on the end of the lot.It was renovated in the early 90!s and was sold to Rite Aide who gutted it and still opperates it today.
The other is located on Route 13 was built in the 50!s and had two fronts its been a Sav A lot for the l;ast twenty years.
Thanks
Gerry
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Re: What were all these stores at one time? Acme?

Post by JoshAustin610 »

The CVS in Drexel Hill believe it or not came later, around 1991 or so; Rea & Derick never went further into the greater Philly area than Pottstown and Quakertown, at least as far as I've been able to find. It is starting to look its age though. The Melrose Shopping Center in Cheltenham (Montgomery County, PA) has a Penn Fruit that opened in the 50s and later became Save-A-Lot, but the CVS in the center didn't open until 1989.

Josh
5000 State Road, Drexel Hill, PA 19026
Store was IGA, then Supervalu, then Great Valu, now The Fresh Grocer. In Street View I saw what looked like an old Acme street sign, now used by a club called Antonio's. There also is an older CVS next to this store, which might have been a Rea & Derick (Acme-owned drugstore).