Possible former A&P

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Possible former A&P

Post by Ephrata1966 »

This LA Fitness looks somewhat like a former A&P/Super Fresh from Google Maps. The store is located at 2961 Swede Rd. in Norristown, PA. There was also a Penn Fruit in this center, which is odd. The former A&P at Baltimore Pike and Union Ave. in Lansdowne, PA looks similar to this store.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Possible former A&P

Post by maynesG »

If I am not mistaken this store was the former headquarter store for genuardis and the headquarters fort he chain was in and office building well behind the store. Genuardis moved their office to Plymouth Meeting and built a replacement store up the street. I hope it helps.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG wrote:If I am not mistaken this store was the former headquarter store for genuardis and the headquarters fort he chain was in and office building well behind the store. Genuardis moved their office to Plymouth Meeting and built a replacement store up the street. I hope it helps.
Very interesting. Also in Norristown is a former centennial A&P which became a Mad Grocer, owned by Genuardi's. That was in the 80's, when I think Genuardi's expanded beyond their original store in Norristown. The Genuardi's headquarter store appears to be older than that. I know there was a former centennial A&P/Super Fresh in Conshohocken that became a Genuardi's at some point, but after 1999. There was a Woolworth in that center too.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I remember the Mad grocers unit that was in Norristown. They also had units in Landsdale across from the Wies and in downtown Phoenixville. It was genuardi!s answer to Sav A lot and to A@Ps Sav A Center Box store chain. ( They had a unit about four blocks above the Shop Rite in a Shopping center on the rigth hand side of the Street on the way to Plymouth Meeting. The Regan years began and the Carter recesion ended and that bwas the end of Mad grocers and A&P!s
box store division.