Pup n Taco- southern CA

Moderator: Groceteria

scanman2
Contributor

Pup n Taco- southern CA

Post by scanman2 »

Does anybody remember pup n taco? My mom and dad joked that the weekly coupon flyers they would advertise in the Penneysaver drove them out of business. I remember coupons for ketchup and mustard dogs for 5/$1
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Taco Bell bought Pup n Taco in 1984. The guy who founded Pup n Taco, Russell Wendell, also started the iconic Randy's Donuts near LAX. There's info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pup_'N'_Taco (you need to copy and paste that into your browser). I remember them for the cherry and grape slushes, which were like Slush Puppies, and the cheap tacos and hot dogs.

This is a typical post-PnT Taco Bell. It's rectangular and typically has no indoor seating. This particular one is in Alhambra and the one I frequented as a kid. PnT usually had tall A-frame roofs at the same angle as the remaining tiled roofs on the Taco Bell. They just cut off the apex of the roof.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There is another one on Rosemead in Pasadena, and on Whittier (at Norwalk) in Whitter
scanman2
Contributor

Pup n Taco

Post by scanman2 »

The Pup n Taco I went to when I was in High School was at Mountain & Philadelphia in Ontario. It was converted to a Taco Bell. It burnt down a few years ago and they rebuilt it. I also remember going as a kid to one in Anaheim somewhere on Ball Rd maybe Brookhurst or Knott near a Pop Shoppe (remember them?) How about another blog?
submariner
Veteran

Re: Pup n Taco

Post by submariner »

scanman2 wrote:The Pup n Taco I went to when I was in High School was at Mountain & Philadelphia in Ontario. It was converted to a Taco Bell. It burnt down a few years ago and they rebuilt it. I also remember going as a kid to one in Anaheim somewhere on Ball Rd maybe Brookhurst or Knott near a Pop Shoppe (remember them?) How about another blog?
There was a taco bell on the corner of Ball & Knott, though I thought it always was that (since at least 1989 when I moved there). It's now an independent mexican joint. The other corners had an Arco station (still there), a Unocal 76 Station (long gone, then a Walgreens Rxpress, now vacant), and Jim's Charbroiled Burgers (damn, that place was STILL there when I passed by last month!)
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

runchadrun wrote:This is a typical post-PnT Taco Bell. It's rectangular and typically has no indoor seating. This particular one is in Alhambra and the one I frequented as a kid. PnT usually had tall A-frame roofs at the same angle as the remaining tiled roofs on the Taco Bell. They just cut off the apex of the roof.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1
Another such location: SW corner of South Street and Norwalk Blvd, Artesia, CA. Almost identical - and I remember very little about PnT except I liked their food and one day they were gone. I remember something about french fries... they had them, didn't they?
scanman2
Contributor

pup n taco Anaheim CA

Post by scanman2 »

yes if there was a Taco Bell on Ball & Knott I'm pretty sure that was the Pup n taco I went to as a kid living in Anaheim. Most of the Pup n Taco's were taken over by Taco Bell.
scanman2
Contributor

Pup n Taco french fries

Post by scanman2 »

I seem to remember them as crinkle cut fries and they had some with chili, onions, and cheese too.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Pup n Taco- southern CA

Post by Dean »

tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Oh man...They had chili dogs AND tacos? In one place?

I totally would have moved in.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

My first job was at the location on 4th and Vineyard in Ontario, CA. I was only there for a few weeks. I couldn't stand one of the people that I worked with and since I was still in high school, I just bailed. I went in the next day and demanded my check, probably like $20 or so. The manager just looked at me like he was so sure I wouldn't be back. I do remember the slushes, the premixed hamburger in the 5 lb encased tube. We cooked the hamburger in a huge open pan with a drywall mud masher. I remember the manager telling us to serve the old hot dogs with the chili, sauerkraut, and anything that would cover the dog. We used the newest ones with the plain and mustard dogs. We also would load up the mexican food with hot sauce and fill the cokes up with ice and a splash of soda to anyone rude in the drive thru. Ah good times... The best thing about working there was the shredded cheese. We would just grab a handfull and munch. Lastly the shopping center it was in was on the northwest corner and it had an Alpha Beta, Thrifty drug and if I remember correctly a Sizzler next door.
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

I remember 2 locations in orange county..... 1) harbor blvd. & Lampson in Garden Grove. also in Santa Ana on Harbor blvd & Edinger. That was in the 70s when i was in high school. Also they had a catchy jingle on tv. pup and taco 29 cents and drive thru...