New York area: Blue Jay Markets

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

John Michael
Contributor

New York area: Blue Jay Markets

Post by John Michael »

Dear fellow baby boomers from New York: Here is one for you. This should set Edric Floyd and Jeffery55 back a few yards. Do any of you remember Blue Jay Markets? I recall one being in St. James and yet another in Smithtown. Most impressed by there massive blue neon lights. There may have been only five or six, I truly do not recall that. Later, when I was working for the King Kullen Grocery Company, the two had merged to King Kullen-Blue Jay Markets. Sometime in the mid 1970's the Blue Jay was dropped and never heard from again. No one seems to recall these stores. Just wanted to throw this out to the group and see reactions. Good luck.
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

definately before my time. I know of King Kullen. But I never heard of the other.
valleyankee

Post by valleyankee »

I remember shopping at the Blue Jay market in West Islip, NY with my Mother back in the 60's. I was only 5 or 6 years old but every trip to the market was an adventure. The best part of the trip was that she would tell us to go get a box of Barnums Animal Crackers and sit outside so we were out of her hair. She would always pay for the cookies when she checked out. Can you imagine? If she did that today she would have been arrested for stealing and thrown in jail for leaving a child unattended!

I remember once we were driving to the "Suffolk Stores" five and dime on Union Avenue and as we passed the big new Grand Union, I asked her why she didn't shop there? She told me that place was too big and she like her little market because she knew where everything was.

In later years I remember when the Blue Jay was closing I thought, "what is she going to do now?" I think she went to the Grand Union or newer King Kullen on Union Blvd. Both are still there but on the site of the Grand Union is the newer Super Stop and Shop.

I used to love to go to my grandmothers when she grocery shopped. She shopped at a big store, the Food Fair in North Merrick. I think it's a Stop and Shop now. Is every store going to be a Stop and Shop someday?
John Michael
Contributor

Post by John Michael »

Dear Valleyankee:
Just for the record and from a person who has no life whatsoever. I was reading an article last month that stated King Kullen Grocery Company bought into Blue Jay Markets in 1966. There were nine (9) Blue Jay Markets in 1966. King Kullen decided to change their look by 1969 and dropped the Blue Jay Logo they shared for three years. It was also the same year that King Kullen dropped their S & H Green Stamps Program and their "Little King" logo. Just thought that it may help you establish a time line with your grandmother. Are there any Grand Union Stores left in New York?
Michael.
PS: I seem to recall Suffolk Stores also. I just cannot remember where I used to see them.
valleyankee

Post by valleyankee »

Grand union is long gone in the New York/New Jersey area. I live in Norther NJ and most of the Grand Union locations became Stop and Shops. I believe that there are a few Grand Union store still operating in Northern New York. Although the look is different, these were once part of the bigger chain.

http://www.gufamilymarkets.com/Store/StoreHome.aspx
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

These are stores supplied by C&S Wholesale, which bought what was left of Grand Union at bankruptcy.
steve-o

Re: New York area: Blue Jay Markets

Post by steve-o »

I realize this is a bit of a necropost since the last reply was more than a year ago, but I just found this board and thought I had a couple of things to contribute.

By way of introduction, I grew up in Suffolk County, Long Island, until I went to college in the Midwest. As a teenager and during vacations, I logged some time in local supermarkets because my dad could not drive and my mother did not drive. So, being the chauffeur and interested in food as well, I usually went along on the shopping trips.

To keep this on-topic, I do remember a Blue Jay market in Kings Park, on Main Street and Pulaski Road. It was a red brick building with the blue neon. As I recall, it was a smaller store, not far from the railroad tracks and Tanzi Lumber, and I do remember the neon "Blue Jay" going from a cursive (script) to block letters -- maybe when King Kullen took them over?
Nutball Gazette

Re:

Post by Nutball Gazette »

valleyankee wrote:Grand union is long gone in the New York/New Jersey area. I live in Norther NJ and most of the Grand Union locations became Stop and Shops. I believe that there are a few Grand Union store still operating in Northern New York. Although the look is different, these were once part of the bigger chain.

I remember in the very early 60s there was a Grand Union and a Safeway on 27A in Patchauge.
RoleModel

Re: Re:

Post by RoleModel »

Nutball Gazette wrote:
valleyankee wrote:Grand union is long gone in the New York/New Jersey area. I live in Norther NJ and most of the Grand Union locations became Stop and Shops. I believe that there are a few Grand Union store still operating in Northern New York. Although the look is different, these were once part of the bigger chain.

I remember in the very early 60s there was a Grand Union and a Safeway on 27A in Patchauge.
Where about exactly? And do you know when that Finast on the corner of Montauk and Phyllis in East Patchogue opened? (It closed around 1988 when Sunshine Square opened on 101 in Medford. It's now Blockbuster and Goodwill.)
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

There were 9 Blue Jay Markets all over Suffolk when they were sold to King Kullen in 1966. They did not combine the stores, King Kullen just took their time taking down the Blue Jay logo. I know this is fact, because my grandfather Frank Radau was the owner of Blue Jay. I have pictures of him in the store and a few of the store fronts. I even have a Blue Jay market employee handbook. He sold them before I was born, but I remember as a child hearing all the stories.
Attachments
docu0113.jpg
docu0112.jpg
docu0102.jpg
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

awesome post! love the pics. Check out the parkay logo on the cartons next to your grandfather. Sounds like he built up a nice business over the years. do you know what the final store count was? also, what made him decide to sell?
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

He had 9 stores. I never asked why he sold them, but I'm assuming he wanted to retire, by 1966 he was in his early sixties.
Attachments
Blue Jay004.jpg
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

wow, i love the sign with the name in script. never saw one in person, i would have loved to though.