Pavilions history

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The WeHo Safeway is on San Vicente and Santa Monica.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

runchadrun wrote:FYI, the Weho store opened on April 30, 1961. The store on San Vicente opened in November, 1961.
RE: Weho store. It was remodeled and expanded to 42,000 sq. ft. in 1985.

The San Vicente store? I don't recall any Safeways on San Vicente in West Hollywood. There was an old Marina in Brentwood on San Vicente that is now a Longs Drug store. Is that the store you are referring to?
Last edited by klkla on 01 Jun 2007 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Jeff wrote:The WeHo Safeway is on San Vicente and Santa Monica.
Close... but it's actually three blocks west on Santa Monica & Robertson.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The San Vicente store was the store in Brentwood, which is where the Longs is (or was...I think it closed last month when the Westwood store closed). I had a brain fart and was thinking of the Pavilions on Montana in Santa Monica. Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't help that there are two completely separate streets in LA called San Vincente.

It's surprising that the City of West Hollywood has an objection to more parking. It's a huge issue and if you've ever tried to find parking in the middle of Boys Town on a Saturday night you know what I mean. The new Red Building at the PDC is actually being built on top of an extension of the exisiting parking structure. But I guess 5 levels of parking would be a bit out of scale for that lot, which adjoins a residential neighborhood. I don't know if it will put the other stores out of business since there's a crowded field of upscale markets in the area (Gelsons, Ralphs Fresh Fare, Whole Foods, Bristol Farms).
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

One store that always facinated me was the Beverly Hills Pavilions. It's size just amazes me. They were able to fit every department in such a small space. This has to be the smallest store in the company. Has this store changed much from when it was Safeway?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote:One store that always facinated me was the Beverly Hills Pavilions. It's size just amazes me. They were able to fit every department in such a small space. This has to be the smallest store in the company. Has this store changed much from when it was Safeway?
I think it was one of the smallest in the Safeway Socal division at the time (with stores in Avalon and Coronado beng smaller) at about 16,000 sq. ft. It almost closed a couple of years ago because the property owners wanted to build an office building on the site but BH City Hall nixed the project. They have wanted to tear it down since then and replace it but cannot get support from the city.

The store is essentially the same was it was when it was a Safeway except for new paint and other cosmetic touches. The store didn't have any service departments until it was remodeled by Vons sometime around 1990.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Pavilions history

Post by Dean »

Saw a commercial for Pacific Sales...kitchen appliances.

Recognized the woman's voice...as the same woman that did the commercials years ago for Pavilions.

She'd say her promo, and end it with...at Pavilions and Pavilions Place.

Discussed within this and a couple other threads...the Place sites were smaller stores...many former Safeways.