15 S. Adams Street, Petersburg, VA

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

carolinatraveler
Contributor

Re: 15 S. Adams Street, Petersburg, VA

Post by carolinatraveler »

I've never been a huge Safeway follower, as I am more interested in Colonial and NC based operations, but when I was in there the signage was definately circa 1960 +/-. In my teen years there was an identical Safeway up in Sandston that was still standing, the last I was through there, but it had been converted to other uses, used furniture if I remember correctly. The fact that this unit was still a supermarket is what caused me to stop and go in. Specifically overhead signage and aisle signs were vintage.

Wayne Henderson, Kernersville, NC
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I visited this store yesterday at the end of my Pittsburgh road trip, and it was quite a sight to see. The interior is signage is not any Safeway vintage I've ever seen, but it may be original. My suspicion, though, is that another tenant took over in the early 1960s and added the current signage.

storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

This has got to be one of the saddest, most dire looking operating stores...
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

storewanderer wrote:This has got to be one of the saddest, most dire looking operating stores...
Hi, I have seen worse in places like nyc,Jersey City and Philadelphia. I just guessingthe area that this store is in is poor and understored. \Having cleaned up a few of these( reminds me of and old Finast i worked In) A little soap and water as well as a good sweeping(get rid of those boxs laying around) does wonders. The people in the area appreciate it and store volume goes up. Its a shame to many operators of stores in areas as this seems to be feel that since my competitor is dirty it is ok for me to be. The investment in soap and water and a little neatness pays off. Any One want to guess what the meat room looks like?
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

The main thing I was looking at was the in-stock condition. I had a feeling based on the exterior, the overall condition inside would not be so good. It appears they can't afford much inventory either. It does appear they are at least using a wholesaler which is good.

Interesting anti-theft barriers at the edge of each checkstand too. I assume those came with the checkstands wherever they came from (probably not original to this store).

I'm surprised IGA allows use of their logo in a store that does not appear to be affiliated anymore.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
NewsLynne
Contributor

Post by NewsLynne »

There used to be an IGA in Scottsville, VA with signage that looked roughly the same. It couldn't be IGA supplied, could it? And I know the Scottsville IGA was never anything else.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

NewsLynne wrote:It couldn't be IGA supplied, could it? And I know the Scottsville IGA was never anything else.
Wouldn't surprise me. I really don't think it's original to the Safeway.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Atlanta has some older stores that look worse, and the BestWay in DC's Mount Pleasant neighborhood looks about as bad. The paint colors look like the sort of thing I've seen on stores that were last touched in the early 70s.
NewsLynne
Contributor

Post by NewsLynne »

I kind of like it. If someone went in and fixed it up a bit it wouldn't be bad. As was said above, give people dignity and pray they respect your efforts.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Petersburg is considered to be in the Richmond area sometimes and in Southside Virginia at other times - that said, there are a smattering of IGAs east and south of Petersburg so it could be supplied by IGA, though I don't think that IGA would be too happy about the condition of the signage. From what I could gather, Safeway was gone from this location by the mid-to-late 1970's, so it's been an independent store for quite a while.

As far as the guesses go regarding the area, it is in fact poor and under stored, and I don't expect to see much improvement. At least the city is somewhat compact and served by public transit, so the folks down there aren't completely devoid of options as people in other places I can think of.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

FYI, this store is now closed. The tree in the pylon survives; though it was cut down a couple of years ago, it's back.