Albertsons-Savon Eastland West Covina remodeling

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Albertsons-Savon Eastland West Covina remodeling

Post by luckysaver »

The Albertsons-Savon (former Lucky) on Citrus/Workman in West Covina is remodeling. Gone is most of the pre-merger Lucky decor (the green aisle hanging signs still remain). If any of you are interested, the complete store layout map including locations of storage, ancillary rooms, offices, and the warehouse is printed on a poster board at the produce entrance (the side facing the 10 Freeway). The new re-design is based on the setup of the Upland store (210 Freeway at Campus Ave, the first Supervalu-designed store built from the ground up), where each department looks like it is enlarged two times bigger than the old setup. Compare and contrast to my local store (Amar Road/Nogales St in Walnut). The remodel should be completed by next month.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Albertsons-Savon Eastland West Covina remodeling

Post by Jeff »

Wow, its about time. That store is always busy (and I'm sure has been even more since the Ralphs up the street closed).

Sad to see the old Lucky interior gone, but I hate to say it, they look dated now. It looked really nice in the 90's, but the green and reds are starting to become dull.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Jeff wrote:Sad to see the old Lucky interior gone, but I hate to say it, they look dated now. It looked really nice in the 90's, but the green and reds are starting to become dull.
I have to admit that I was never a fan of that interior. It always just looked a little cheap to me, and it amazed me that they did such a complete makeover of every single store with it, which is so very unusual for a chain that big. Maybe they used it because it was cheap, and easy to adapt to all their stores.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Groceteria wrote:
Jeff wrote:Sad to see the old Lucky interior gone, but I hate to say it, they look dated now. It looked really nice in the 90's, but the green and reds are starting to become dull.
I have to admit that I was never a fan of that interior. It always just looked a little cheap to me, and it amazed me that they did such a complete makeover of every single store with it, which is so very unusual for a chain that big. Maybe they used it because it was cheap, and easy to adapt to all their stores.
Yes, but at least at the time, it looked fresh and clean, compared to most markets.

It gave shoppers a WOW, LOOK AT THE JOB LUCKYS DID! THEY REMODELED AND IT LOOKS GREAT feeling that other markets, like Vons and Albertsons, weren't really doing at the time.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

Or Safeway which still has locations with 1970's era interiors scattered here and there!
Charles H:)
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

I believe EASTLAND was used for shots for the TV show THE WONDER YEARS.

Wonder (pun intended!) if the 'ol market was ever shown or used during the series' run.