Livermore, Calif-1963-"88 Super Mart"

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Livermore, Calif-1963-"88 Super Mart"

Post by Jason B. »

The "Livermore Herald and News" edition of 10/9/1963 had extensive coverage of a new supermarket in Livermore, Calif. The "88 Super Mart" apparently was part of a small chain owned by Henry Bacci of Stockton. (He also owned the Better Buy Market in Stockton and planned more 88 Supermarkets in the Bay Area).

The "88 Super Mart" was located in a small shopping center at the southeast corner of Chestnut and P streets. It had a distinctive 1960s pylon sign.

The article describes a couple of unique features. First, the store had "electronic audio directories." They are described as "push-button devices wherein the shopper punches the item she wants and a pre-taped voice tells her in which aisle she can find her item." Second, the interior of the store had a "many colored harlequin design, an original with the store." The article adds, "Decals now being shipped from Los Angeles will be placed above the section of the market it represents. For instance, a large turkey will appear above the fowl section." Those harlequin designs must have been a sight to see!

I remember visiting the grocery store in this location in the early 1980s (it had a different name). It had a distinctive feel, but I believe the "many colored harlequin design" was gone. There was a Pay Less Drugs store (formerly called "Value Giant") that dominated this shopping center until it relocated to the Albertson's (now Nob Hill) shopping center. (That "Value Giant" store had moved to this shopping center from its former location in the 1951-60 Safeway on First Street.)

It's also interesting that the Livermore "88 Super Mart" featured exclusively Holdener's Milk in its dairy section. Holdener's was a local dairy (with a well-known "drive-in") that shut down circa 1980 to make way for the Albertson's shopping center.
umtrr-author
Contributor

Re: Livermore, Calif-1963-"88 Super Mart"

Post by umtrr-author »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

My principal hobby is model railroading, and my layout is set in 1963. As such I'm particularly interested in the state of the business during that year. I'll "borrow" any data I can get for potential use; for example I'll have a Safeway on my layout based on a Western prototype store (I believe it's fashioned after a small Colorado branch but I'd have to check).

I wonder if there is any more information out there about the "electronic audio directories." Sounds like state of the art for 1963.