Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

javelin
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by javelin »

Talk about extinct, I thought this thread was as well. Apparently Steakums are making a comeback. And I noticed Mothers Flaky Flix is back as well. Reading this thread again, I was reminded that back before pudding came in 4-pack plastic containers, they used to be sold in metal cans. I think Libby's was one of them, but there were store brands as well. They tasted much better than the pudding you find now, but I don't miss almost getting cut while trying to pull the lid off by the tab.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

I did not think Steakumms went away. They are coming out with frozen burgers in the spring.
Hunts Pudding came in metal cans and tasted better then.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

The Franco American name seems to be gone, replaced by Campbell's. I think Marys Kitchen Hash has been replaced by the Hormel name.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Mary Kitchen is still on there, just on the bottom of the label. The HORMEL name gets top billing

I'm sure it will be gone in a few years.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

They no longer make Sizzlean, either! "Move over, Bacon!"
GothicPrincess
Contributor

Post by GothicPrincess »

javelin wrote:Talk about extinct, I thought this thread was as well. Apparently Steakums are making a comeback. And I noticed Mothers Flaky Flix is back as well. Reading this thread again, I was reminded that back before pudding came in 4-pack plastic containers, they used to be sold in metal cans. I think Libby's was one of them, but there were store brands as well. They tasted much better than the pudding you find now, but I don't miss almost getting cut while trying to pull the lid off by the tab.
At the Ollie's by me, they have pudding in cans. Next time I'm there I'll snap some pics. That's where I found McCrory's carry baskets...

Jaime...Bradlees Forever!!!
GothicPrincess
Contributor

Post by GothicPrincess »

I found the canned pudding in Ollie's Bargain Outlet in Greensburg, PA.

Jaime...Bradlees Forever!!!
scott7789

Post by scott7789 »

Okay, here goes. Spacefood Sticks, Faygo soda had about 25 flavors and was a hot diet soda in the day. Treesweet frozen OJ. Skippy chunk style peanut Butter with bacon bits. Pinecone canned Tomatoes. Toilet Paper came in all major colors(pink blue yellow green as well as white) I worked as a stock clerk in the early 70's at what was Central Markets and laterbecame Price Chopper Discount Foods and still is today. i remember walking down the aisle when I first started and seing 2 four foot shelves of gallon drinking water and thinking " People pay for drinking water? Why? Boy I wish I had invested in that idea! I remember the Coke Crowd pleaser which was a bout a 5 ounce step up from the quarts. Eventually our private label sodas came in heavy 64ounce glass bottles and I recall them exploding on the shelf as Summer temperatures soared. Some customers occasionally took a bath but oddly enough never any serious injuries. Swansdown cake mix. Junket Rennet Custard. Whip and Chill pudding. A strange dessert named 1-2-3 which after setting had a bottom of jello a middle of a creamy nature and the top was a fluff of some kind. Rely tampons which were pulled because it killed women sometimes due to something call" Toxic Shock Syndrome". Puss N Boots Cat food. Goff pet foods. Chuck Wagon, Come n Get It , Prime ,Gaines Meal Calo pet food.
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Super S wrote:
Daniel wrote:Storm was re-named Sierra Mist. That replaced Slice. (Remember when that was introduced they made a big deal about it having fruit juice in it?)
Slice had several flavors, including mandarin orange, cherry cola (cherry Pepsi in disguise), and apple, in addition to lemon-lime. Towards the end I remember cans of lemon-lime Slice which also read, "contains no juice".
Other than lemon-lime, Slice flavors came and went quickly. Never even had a chance to try the apple flavor.
Apple Slice was great...and would be great if it returned.

As PEPSI LIGHT with a twist of lemon did. It was out in the 70s/80s in a turquoise can with a lemon. Then it disappeared. Returned years later...to only be replaced with LIME.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Brands like Rinso, Breeze, Ipana, etc. Unilever, in particular, still sells many of these old brands, in their old packaging in "developing" countries. Don't know if they use the old formulations. I once sat on a plane, next to a Unilever sales rep whose brand portfolio was mostly stuff I'd forgotten since I was a kid.

The original Lifebuoy soap, which is red and with a strong carbolic scent, is still manufactured by Unilever in Cyprus. This soap was sold in the United States up until the late 1950's/early 1960's, when Lever Brothers (which Unilever was then known as) changed the formulation of Lifebuoy to be more like Dial and other deodorant soaps. The Cyprus-made red Lifebuoy is sold online by Vermont Country Store. Vermont Country Store also sells Ipana toothpaste (which was once a Bristol-Myers product.)
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Regarding popcorn, in the pre-microwave oven era, it used to be sold in stove top packets. As I recall, one placed the aluminum container into a frying pan and popped the corn via stove top conduction. I don't think popcorn is sold this way anymore.

That was Jiffy Pop popcorn, which I think is still available, but is a bit harder to find among the sea of microwave brands. Loose popcorn in jars and plastic bags, for stove top and popcorn popper popping, can still be found, however.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Jell-O 1-2-3 and Whip 'n Chill

Post by Toby Radloff »

Another product I remember is Jell-O "1-2-3", which divided into layers after it is chilled. That product didn't last very long on the market; roughly from the mid to late 1960's. Jell-O also had a product called "Whip 'n Chill", which was a lot like a fruit-flavored mousse. Again a short lived product.
buckhead
Contributor

Post by buckhead »

Toby Radloff wrote:Regarding popcorn, in the pre-microwave oven era, it used to be sold in stove top packets. As I recall, one placed the aluminum container into a frying pan and popped the corn via stove top conduction. I don't think popcorn is sold this way anymore.

That was Jiffy Pop popcorn, which I think is still available, but is a bit harder to find among the sea of microwave brands. Loose popcorn in jars and plastic bags, for stove top and popcorn popper popping, can still be found, however.
And don't forget the similar Presto Pop. Up until just a few years ago, one could also purchase popcorn kernals premixed with popping oil...just pour it from the jar into the pan and pop.

Liquid margarine/spread under the Margelo name predates the current products on the market. I mention it because it is extinct as a brand, pretty much having lost a trademark lawsuit.

Start orange-flavored instant breakfast beverage in pre-measured cannisters came and went in the 60s...a competitor to Tang.

Nestle had Keen beverage powder until the 60s or 70s to compete with Kool Aid.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I found an old reel of radio commercials in an AM station's studios I was helping to clean out, and there was an ad for Nestle's Keen on one of the tapes. It had a nifty 60's jingle that went something like:

"When you're thirsty, you should think
Of Nestle's brand new instant drink
It comes in a jar and it's made in a wink...
It's KEEN!"
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Speaking of Puss @ Boots Cat Food, How about these other former Quaker Oats brands,
Ken!L Ration canned Dog Food in 12 flavors, The top seller Ken1l Ration
Blue Label ( Known In The Trade as Mystery Meat)
Ken!L Biskit ( The original Dry Dog Food)
Tender Chunks Dry and Canned Dog Food
Kenl Burger
And such competitors as Cadilac Dog and Cat Foods
Fido Dog Food
Don!T Forget The Ken!l Ration Jingle on Tv My dog is better then your
Dog, My dog is better then yours... He eats Ken! Ration made with real
Meat and lots of verry good things, My dog is better than yours!