Mystery store: ~195 Trunk Rd, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Mystery store: ~195 Trunk Rd, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

Post by Andrew T. »

I may have called Sault Ste. Marie's record of physical artifacts "disappointing," but it wasn't devoid of merit. This fantastic 1960s-mod building stands somewhere in the vicinity of 193/195 Trunk Road (I can't figure out the exact number):
trunkroad.jpg
The building is about 15,000 square feet in size...which is small, but still plausible for the 1950s or early 1960s. What might it have been constructed as?

The address isn't listed in the grocers' section of the 1965 Vernon directory (the last with a classified listing). It wouldn't have been a big-name chain grocer, as it wasn't listed in the 1970s alphabetical listings for A&P, Dominion, or Loblaws. Indeed, there's no guarantee that this building was ever a supermarket: It could have been a variety store or drugstore. Unfortunately I didn't see it until I was on my way out of town, so returning to the library for more research was out of the question...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Mystery store: ~195 Trunk Rd, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

Post by Andrew T. »

--Update--

I had a chance this month to double-check the Sault Ste. Marie city directories. No address on Trunk Road between 191 and 197 was listed in either 1990, 1980, or 1970. 197 Trunk Road has always been a supermarket; though never a big chain: It was Gouchie's IGA Foodliner in 1970, Gouchie's Food Market in 1980, and Pino's IGA in 1990.

I can only conclude that this building was the original 197 Trunk Road, even though the number has since migrated to a newer building next door (the current Pino's IGA), leaving this one in an unnumbered lurch.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
the506
Contributor

Re: Mystery store: ~195 Trunk Rd, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

Post by the506 »

FYI....Google now has Streetview for the Soo from 2007 and it confirms your suspicions. It was Pino's then and the current building wasn't constructed yet.