How Many Grocers founded Cafeterias and Restaraunt Chains?

Moderator: Groceteria

Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Marc's had about 4-5 Fun Time Pizza Palace locations...I believe in Mentor (Mentor Mall), Middleburg Heights (Southland), North Olmsted (Lorain and Clague Roads), Akron (Chapel Hill Mall), and, I think, one in Columbus. These were the original locations of Chuck E. Cheese's in NE OH...a Chuck E. Cheese's at Southgate in Maple Heights was not taken over by Marc's, and later closed. When Marc's ran these restaurants, they pretty much kept every game, attraction, and kiddie ride that Chuck E. Cheese's had...including rides with Mr. Chuck E. Cheese himself!!!! Also, Marc's ran "Marc's No Name Restaurant" adjacent to its Middleburg Heights (Southland) store...it was basically a generic diner. I believe Marc's closed all of their restaurants by 1991-1992 or so, around the time that Chuck E. Cheese's re-entered the Cleveland market with a North Olmsted (Great Northern) location...Marc's had the former Chuck E. Cheese's at Lorain and Clague Roads, which is in a former Kroger supermarket. (The building, which also had a Goodwill store and a hobby shop, was later demolished to make way for a free standing CVS pharmacy.)
marshd1000
Veteran

Re: The Infamous Eve's

Post by marshd1000 »

timbabcock wrote:
VibeGuy wrote:Fred Meyer, decades pre-Kroger, operated Eve's Buffets. Most were part of Fred Meyer stores, but there were definitely a few freestanding locations. I believe Eve was Fred's mother.
I remember that. The Burien store had one in it. I think they even used the Eve's name (with the same logo) on some of their bakery products.
I used to work for Fred Meyer at the now defunct White Center location as well as Aurora and Burien. First of all, Eve was Fred's wife. I don't recall bakery products with Eve's name on it but I recall seeing boxes of "Eve's Fifth Avenue Chocolates".

As for the Eve's Buffets, I only know of one that was not part of a Fred Meyer store. I had heard that there was one in the Bank of California building in Downtown Seattle into the early 1980's. Also most Eve's were in Fred Meyer stores that the company built from the ground up. However when Fred Meyer acquired Leslie's/Valu Mart, the Burien and Bellevue locations already had Eve's style cafeteria operations, so they were promoted as Eve's Buffets. But most Eve's had an additional entrance so people could enter directly from the outside instead of having to go inside the store first. Burien and Bellevue were the notable exceptions as they were Fred Meyer stores with a mini-mall type configuration.