How Many Grocers founded Cafeterias and Restaraunt Chains?

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

How Many Grocers founded Cafeterias and Restaraunt Chains?

Post by jamcool »

Here is a question that could be of interest to those on this website. Which grocery chains founded free standing cafeterias and restaraunt chains ?(not combined with their stores) Here are a few....

Alpha Beta - Alphy's Restaraunts/Coffee Shops

Furr's - Furr's Cafeterias

Wyatt Food Stores (Dallas-based chain bought by Kroger in the 60s) - Wyatt's Cafeterias

Any others?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I remember Alphy's. There was one in Rosemead, CA next to the Alpha Beta. It closed in the late 80's and reopened as several other coffee shops, before eventually becoming a chinese restaurant (with the Alpha Beta a Ralphs, now a chinese market)

Its still there, and last time I remember, still looked untouched.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Alphy's on Nogales in Rowland Heights CA and in the City of Industry on Valley are both now Denny's. Also, location on BEACH BLVD in Buena Park is MILLIE'S.
Last edited by Dean on 15 Jan 2007 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There was also an Alphy's in Alhambra on Main St at the end of the center.
Terry K
Contributor

Post by Terry K »

Even though it wasn't a grocer, Walgreens had Wag's Restaurants.
klkla
Veteran

Re: How Many Grocers founded Cafeterias and Restaraunt Chain

Post by klkla »

jamcool wrote:Here is a question that could be of interest to those on this website. Which grocery chains founded free standing cafeterias and restaraunt chains ?(not combined with their stores) Here are a few....

Alpha Beta - Alphy's Restaraunts/Coffee Shops

Furr's - Furr's Cafeterias

Wyatt Food Stores (Dallas-based chain bought by Kroger in the 60s) - Wyatt's Cafeterias

Any others?
Big Bear Markets in San Diego had a chain of family restaurants. If I remember correctly the name was 'Buffies' or something like that.
APCO25
Contributor

Post by APCO25 »

Publix acquired all of this Florida restaraunt chain:

http://www.crispers.com

Unlike their grocery stores which span several states, Crispers is only in Florida.
dth1971
Contributor

Post by dth1971 »

Montgomery Ward had Wards Buffeteria.

Woolworth's had Harvest House.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Brookshire Grocery Company had a couple of cafeterias in the late 70's/early 80's. One I know for sure was in Shreveport, LA, as the end of Shreve City Shopping Center. I think the other one was in Tyler, TX, but I'm not sure.
Scott Greer
dth1971
Contributor

Post by dth1971 »

Also: In the 1980's and 1990's some Harvest House restaurants next to Woolworth stores were converted into Burger King restaurants.
VibeGuy
Contributor

The Infamous Eve's

Post by VibeGuy »

Fred Meyer, decades pre-Kroger, operated Eve's Buffets. Most were part of Fred Meyer stores, but there were definitely a few freestanding locations. I believe Eve was Fred's mother.

VibeGuy
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

Jeff,

Alphys adjacent to Alpha Beta (now Ralphs) in Covina (Citrus/Puente) was a Millie's Country Kitchen, now Millies Restaurant and Bakery (same company - Millie's).

Walmart (considered the nation's largest grocer besides Kroger) operates VIPS Restaurants in Mexico. They bought those rather than founding them.

Grocers today aren't into freestanding cafes now. They put their focus on Gas stations or drug stores after learning lessons from Alpha Beta and Lucky. Some may integrate in-store dining such as Starbucks in Vons and Albertsons or their own "restaurants" like Wegmans in Williamsport PA and Bristol Farms in South Pasadena CA. Asian chains like 99 are into Food Courts of different types of food or multiple vendors as in mall-style cafeterias.

socalgrocer
timbabcock
Contributor

Re: The Infamous Eve's

Post by timbabcock »

VibeGuy wrote:Fred Meyer, decades pre-Kroger, operated Eve's Buffets. Most were part of Fred Meyer stores, but there were definitely a few freestanding locations. I believe Eve was Fred's mother.
I remember that. The Burien store had one in it. I think they even used the Eve's name (with the same logo) on some of their bakery products.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

In the 1970's, Fisher Foods once franchised Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurants in the Cleveland, OH area. A Pick-N-Pay that was once at the Southgate Shopping Center in Maple Heights (in the former Topps discount store) had a coffee shop in the front, in a room off the main floor. The coffee shop lasted pretty much during the entire life of this location, until Finast moved to Meadowbrook Market Square in Bedford in the early 1990's. In the 1980's, Marc's took over several failing Chuck E. Cheese's locations in the Cleveland area and reopened them as "Marc's Fun Time Pizza Palace". Marc's took over the locations shortly after Chuck E. Cheese's filed for bankruptcy in the mid-1980's. Marc's Fun Time Pizza Palace lasted until the early 1990's, when Marc's went out of the restaurant business, and Chuck E. Cheese's, under new ownership, started opening new locations in NE OH.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Interestingly enough, there's still an Arthur Treacher's in Parma, on an outlot of the Old Time Pottery plaza, which was once an Uncle Bill's/Pick N Pay combo.

I can't believe Marc's had pizza places. That's scary.